PDA

View Full Version : calcium levels

geoman
07/07/2003, 07:31 AM
Just wondering about calcium levels!

I have a 75 gallon tank that I have had going for 2 months now! All tank parameters are normal. However, I ran a calcium test that read 525 mg. I know that the recommended level is somewhere around 450 mg. I last added Reef Complete 4 days ago.

Should I be worried? Do I need to bring this calcium level down or will it go down on its own.

Thanks

Chris

MalHavoc
07/07/2003, 07:35 AM
It won't drop unless there is calcium demand in your tank. I'd do a few water changes to bring it back into line.

Why are you adding calcium? Do you have things in your tank that need it at this point? How are you determining how much to add?

geoman
07/07/2003, 07:45 AM
I have various corals that require it! As for how much, I've been simply following the instructions on the bottle (5ml/20 gallons) twice a week.

MalHavoc
07/07/2003, 07:49 AM
the instructions aren't fixed in stone. You need to evaluate your calcium demand based on how much it drops in a day, and then add just enough back to compensate. You're probably adding too much, and the levels have been slowly increasing over time, putting you in your current situation.

geoman
07/07/2003, 08:02 AM
Thanks Jason.

I'll do a few water changes to bring it back down.

Thanks for the help and certainly remember your advice.

MalHavoc
07/07/2003, 08:11 AM
No problem. Let us know how it turns out.

geoman
07/07/2003, 05:28 PM
So I did a water change this morning and managed to bring down the calcium level to 465 mg.

Thanks again Jason for the advice!

Entropy
07/07/2003, 05:46 PM
Did you notice a difference adding the calcium?

My tank is just 4 weeks old and I only have live rock but I am getting ready to add calcium to bring my current level (310) up to 450. Only think I have is xenia, so I am doing it more for the coralline right now I guess.

geoman
07/07/2003, 06:22 PM
I've been adding calcium from the beginning. The guy that helped me set things up suggested it! However, he did recommend dosing about half as much as I was putting in! I figured the instructions on the bottle were more reliable. I won't make that mistake again!

All my coral seem to be flourishing!