PDA

View Full Version : Critique/Help this Sump setup

drjeff
07/06/2003, 08:33 PM
I have a 90 GAL display tank on a stand with room under for a sump/refugium setup. Here's what I'm thinking;

Lifereef Overflow box draining into skimmer (suggestions as to what type will be gladly taken. I just bought a Aqua Remora Pro, but will return it if an under the stand skimmer is better for this)

Skimmer to Sump-Rubbermaid 20 GAL regtangular type container (I can probably epoxy baffles in there if you think that will help with bubbles)

Sump to 12 GAL glass aquarium (which has a hood light on it) and will be used for a Refugium. It was my quarantine tank. The sump and refugium will be connected by way of a pvc u pipe. Don't feel totally comfortable with my "Home Depot-type skills" to cut/drill and install connecting pipes.

My biggest 2 questions I have are;

1. Can I put the return pump in the Refugium and if so, do I have to seperate it from the contents (except the water) so I don't get sand in the pump?

2. What kind of flowrate should I have? Will that determine how wide my return and connecting hose/pipe diameters should be?

Thank you so much for any input

drjeff
07/07/2003, 06:57 PM
^

srit1
07/07/2003, 08:16 PM
1) yes i'd place baffles between the fug and the return -eliminate bubbles as well as eliminate sand into pump...

2) not sure on flowrate? I dont have that big of a tank - I have 500gph flowing through my sump - 54g corner tank = 700 gph circulation with powerhead added to that 500..

my other comment - i've tried epoxying in baffles to a rubber maid container and since my rubbermaid container bowed so much the baffles lost their seal on the sides and became useless. i have now built an acrylic sump with baffles that are rock solid.

godluck - if nothing else i bumped you back up

drjeff
07/07/2003, 08:31 PM
I knew I could count on someone with the know-how to help out and offer advice. I appreciate the input, you got some great points there

gljjr
07/08/2003, 12:25 AM
My first thought is to pitch the Lifereef overflow and have the tank drilled for your overflow. You will really be happy you did down the road. I would also agree that you want to put baffles between the fuge and the output. Since this is a fairly small sump I would just go with a submersible pump as the return. That should make the plumbing easier anyway.

Flow rate will definitely be affected by pipe size. Go as large as you can. Your pump will ultimately be the limiting factor in flow rate that way.

Can't help ya on the skimmer as I don't use one :)