PDA

View Full Version : New Canopy For 90g/Lighting

MikeyNice
07/06/2003, 01:54 PM
I am in the process of building a canopy for my 90gal. Ive built the canopy to match my stand which is an All-Glass black laquer. I was planing on running 2-250watt 10k Ushios and 2-4ft URI Actinics normal output. The problem is that 4ft tubes will not fit in the canopy so if I went with the 2-250mh and 2-36" URI actincs no(30watts)would that combo work. I know that vho is the way to go but being an electrician I was able to get these all ballasts for free. Is anyone running this combo?? Any pics?? I plan on having the mh's on one time clock and flourescents on another.

bvoss
07/06/2003, 08:35 PM
Just go with the 46.5 URI actinics. You can buy them from Hellolights.com. They are made to fit in a 48" canopy. You will need 220 watts of actinic to balance out the natural yellow of the Ushios.

I just built this exact combo for my 90 gal. I used PFO paralell reflectors. These reflectors put a huge amount of light into the tank and they give you a great place to mount the VHOs ( you need to drill your own holes for 46.5").

http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OE&Product_Code=P2PRWMS1&Category_Code=RSC

Good luck!

lilbuddy
07/07/2003, 08:28 AM
I have a similar set up, except I went with 4 46.5 vhos and did have the 65k's but just replaced them with the 20k xm. And still run 2 50/50 URI and 2 URI actinics.

I have a lot of pics in my galleries if you would like to see the canopy, lights, and tank pics. Also some pics of lights on my website.

HTH

MikeyNice
07/07/2003, 09:04 AM
My canopy measures exactly 46 1/2 on the inside. If I can fit a 46 1/2 bulb with the sockets I may go with T-5's. Anyone else run this combo and how do you like it. Also if someone could measure there 46 1/2" bulb with the sockets and let me know it would be a great help. Thanks.

lilbuddy
07/07/2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Gooomba
My canopy measures exactly 46 1/2 on the inside. If I can fit a 46 1/2 bulb with the sockets I may go with T-5's. Anyone else run this combo and how do you like it. Also if someone could measure there 46 1/2" bulb with the sockets and let me know it would be a great help. Thanks.

the end caps on the T5 are not really that small. IMO you dont save as much room as you would think with T5 compared to vhos