PDA

View Full Version : Emperator Angel in an 80 gallon

Elmo18
04/19/2001, 11:05 PM
Hi, I reaally want an Emperator Angel in my tank, either Juvenile or adult but would like to know what corals they eat. I know they consume sponges, but what corals specifically. Also if anyone has an emperator in their tanks please share your experienecs (reef tanks of course). I would like to keep one type of angel, and like it to be not dwarf.

Thanks and regards,
Ilham

-This is my first post here. I hope I can be of help to you guys. Thanks

jimi
04/20/2001, 07:38 AM
I would definately only put a juvi in a 80. Even that he will outgrow in a few years. Its hard to say what they will eat some will eat one type of coral some eat anything. Mine does not bother mushrooms or xenia but almost killed a beautiful red/green brain I had.

Dr. Mac
04/20/2001, 08:11 AM
I'd say an 80 is too small, I have one in a 180 and it is almost outgrown the tank. I have SPS and some soft corals in the tank. It will eat most LPS, some soft, and certainly clams. It has never bothered any SPS, Xenia, and select leathers. It is very well fed by hand with a wide variety of dried and frozen foods and gets dried algae rubberbanded on a rock twice a day. It has become a real pet over the years, but soon will need a bigger tank as it is now about 8 inches. Photos on my site.

Boom11
04/21/2001, 01:23 AM
A juvenile P. imperator (< 2") can live in a 80 G tank for a year or two.

If you feed him plenty of natural food (clams, shrimp, mussels, nori, etc.) he probably won't bother corals, except for maybe an occasional bite out of boredom.

If you feed him well, he won't get sick and die. He'll grow, and outgrow the 80 G tank in about 2 years.

If you were to add other fish, especially an angel, you'd find out why this guy's named "imperator". So, don't.

B.M.