PDA

View Full Version : Do fish fins heal? More...

Crevalle
07/05/2003, 10:42 AM
I am wondering how well fish will heal. I have a blue tang and a maroon clown in my 75g reef. Well, this morning, each of them had a portion of their lower back fins (real scientific terms, huh!) removed. Must have been a crab or something (there are no other fish in the tank). I am wondering if the fins will grow back, or if they are permanently gone. Thanks!

Stretch
07/05/2003, 10:45 AM
Well if they are happy, stress free. they should grow back very quickly. When i had firefish his fins were really nipped in less than 3 weeks they were completely back, I would still have him if he didn't make the "big jump"

ClemSnide
07/05/2003, 10:53 AM
I can't speak from experience with SW fish, but w/ FW fish I've seen full regrowth in just a few days as long as the cause of the damage is removed or backs off for awhile.

Clownkeeper
07/05/2003, 02:19 PM
I have a maroon clown and a wrasse that had a scuffle when the maroon was added. Took about 3 weeks for the fins to heal up. Make sure they have a good diet and water conditions and it will do fine.

Troy

WantABigTank
07/05/2003, 04:12 PM
They should grow back. That is as long as there are no other significant problems. For example: very poor water quality, high stress, constant badgering from other fish ...