PDA

View Full Version : sump???

nbd13
07/04/2003, 06:48 PM
hey guys i have a 70 gallon reef right now it is lightly stocked i have a dual bac pack skimmer right now. my question is, can i put a sump below my tank under the stand, just use an overflow box? would this work? what materials are needed? any plans woudl be great thanks alot!!

Nick

kgross
07/05/2003, 04:44 AM
Nick,

All you need to put a sump under your tank, is the overflow box of course, a hose /pipe from the overflow box to your sump a sump and apump with a pipe to return the water to your tank. They are very easy to setup.

I know I haven't said much to answer your question. But it sounds like you actually know what you need. Just hang the overflow on the tank, plump it to the sump put in a pump of some type and plumb it back to the tank.

Kim

nbd13
07/05/2003, 09:53 AM
ok well what overflow box do i need? like gph wise? also where can i get all of this stuff? also what size and type of plumbing paterial do i need? also what size? 20 or 30? also will a skimmer be able to fit in the sump? oh yeah i need someone to take me through the setup up because i have no lcue how to do it? thanks alot!

Nick

kgross
07/05/2003, 02:51 PM
The gph of the overflow and the size of the plumbing is determined by how much flow you want through your sump. If you want to go with a large return pump you need to size your overflow to handle the flow of the sump. With a 70 gallon tank, I would personally suggest going with 500 to 700 gph of flow through your sump system.

As for putting your skimmer in the sump a backpak is not a good skimer to mount in the sump, you might want to work on trading it for a sump skimmer instead.

On the size, I always suggest to go as large as you can, bigger is better.

Size of plumbing if you go for the 500-700 gph I would suggest 1 inch plumbing

Where to get it, first I would suggest talking to your local fish store if they don't have it you can mail order it all, marine depot is a good place to get it from.

nbd13
07/05/2003, 02:57 PM
ok well what overflow do you recomend i heard cpr makes a good one that is self priming? is this a good choice. i thought you want more flow than that like 2500 gph? or is this too much maybe i mistook it for somethin else. i was thinking of using a magdrive 9.5 for return pump is this a good choice?? and what cpr over flow would i need for this pump? and what size plumbing material and how much do i need of it thanks alot!

Nick

nbd13
07/05/2003, 02:59 PM
oh yeah i will be getting a new skimmer also!! a in type sump kind!:)

Nick

nbd13
07/05/2003, 03:01 PM
oh yeah where to i put the return plumbing? how do i get the water back into the tank. i do not want to drill the tank it is already filled with livestock any thoughtS?? thanks

Nick