PDA

View Full Version : Green Star Polyps Not Fully Extended

jciwlsn
07/04/2003, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I've had some green star polyps about two weeks, and although about 3/4 of them have extended, they're not fully out. They've only extended about 1/8" to 1/4", how long does it take before you see the 'green'?

Thanks!

dragon_slayer
07/04/2003, 05:26 PM
usualy they come out fully within 2 days of being moved, touched, or otherwise bothered. if they have been in 2 weeks and not fully extended (and your not moving the around the tank or have your hands in the tank) they are not getting the desired light/current they like i would think. all the one's i have and have had prefer medium to somewhat turbulent water current and LOTS of light.

you might want to move them higher in the tank towards more light and into a place with more current if they are in a quite place.

kc

jciwlsn
07/04/2003, 05:29 PM
I thought that might be it. I have a 96w 10k white, and 1-96w blue and they're about 10-11 inches from the light (middle of tank on rocks).

Also, I have a 400 maxi power head just above them which seems to be giving them a low to moderate flow.

Hope my lights are enough, and I should move them to the top of the tank? The lights are on at least 12 hours/day.

Konadog
07/04/2003, 05:37 PM
jciwlsn, I have basically the same light but 2 of each. One set on each side of my 100 gal and have my GSP at about the same depth. Just give them time and I think they will be just fine.

Big_Don
07/04/2003, 05:40 PM
When I got my gsp one was in the tank 3 weeks before it was totally extended and the other for 4 weeks. The friend that I had gotten mine said that was what I should expect from them - he was right! They are beautiful now. I don't think that you should worry too much, wait a little while and see what happens. When ever you upset them in anyway they tend to with draw for a day or two, sometimes up to a few weeks. They can have a "tude."

Lara :)

jciwlsn
07/04/2003, 05:47 PM
Great, thanks to all of you.........just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

I also have to remember to be patient in this hobby!:)

Konadog
07/04/2003, 06:14 PM
Just thought I would post a Pic also.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/9086GSP.jpg

Bayliner
07/04/2003, 06:14 PM
Hi jciwlsn,
I just wanted to add one more thing.
You mentioned that it is on a rock half way up your tank.

You may want to put some small pieces of rock under and around it. When it does open up for you, and I am sure it will, It will start to spread.....and I mean spread. I have lost a few large beautiful pieces of rock because my GPS covered them. It is even growing on the glass in one of my tanks.

If it is growing on top of small pieces you can always lift it up and propagate it.

I let mine grow on the sand bed now so they don't overtake my tank.

Good luck

Cam

jciwlsn
07/04/2003, 08:26 PM
Hi,

Couldn't sleep, I have reef on the brain 24/7.

Konadog, NICE picture, hope mine look like that!! I didn't realize it until today.....I thought, hey wait a minute, I have GREEN star polyps.....

Bayliner, now that you mention it, I think the LFS told me the same thing and I'd forgotten all about it. I'll rearrange the rock work. Growing on glass? This I gotta see..... :)

Thanks again!

Konadog
07/04/2003, 08:35 PM
Here is a GSP tank from another TRC Member (Anenome) Talk about takeover!

:D

Bayliner
07/04/2003, 08:48 PM
Well then I am off to set up the camera.
I will probably post two pictures because it is growing on the glass in two of my tanks.

The interesting thing about it is in the one tank it is growing on the back glass. In the other tank it is growing on the front. So you can actually see what the bottom of a GSP looks like through the glass.

Must warn you that my digital camera is not that good and I have had no luck getting a picture small enough to be able to post on RC.
So if I can't post it I will email them to you.

Thanks
Cam

Bayliner
07/04/2003, 09:04 PM
I just brushed off some hair algea before taking the picture and it closed up completely.
This is in one of my frag tanks so some times it gets a little messy :rolleyes:

but here it is on the back of my tank closed up.

Tommorow morning about an hour after the lights come on it will be fully open. I can post another picture.

Bayliner
07/04/2003, 09:20 PM
Ok I think I have this figured out...

Front of glass

Bayliner
07/04/2003, 09:24 PM
Back of glass with polyps still closed.

Thanks
Cam

jciwlsn
07/05/2003, 06:47 AM
Wow, GREAT pictures! So, looks like once they get a foothold, they can literally reproduce like aiptasia (luckily my pepp shrimp got rid of those!)

Thanks for taking the time posting those pictures, It's hard to believe that they'll look like that when they're still pretty small.

I'll let you now how it's going in a week or two :)