PDA

View Full Version : Non-toxic, and reef-safe metal ??

yamant
07/04/2003, 12:13 PM
Hi RC,

i am planning a DIY thermoelectric chiller.

i am looking for non-toxic, and reef-safe metals except gold and titanium...

any idea?

The Shaman
07/04/2003, 02:46 PM
Two materials come to mind, but both have their downside. One is stainless steel which would give you varying resistance to corrosion according to which alloy you choose. However, its thermal properties would suck for use w/ peltiers. The other would be anodized aluminum. Its thermal properties should be fair to good, but I don't know how well it would hold up in salt water even w/ anodizing. I also don't know how 'reef safe' it would be.

Not much help I know, sorry. BTW, I'm ASSuming you're planning to use such a material on the cold side of the peltier AND have it immersed in salt water. Would this be correct?

Also, depending on water volume, something along the lines of an Ice Probe might be the simplest solution, though not the cheapest.

yamant
07/04/2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by The Shaman
Not much help I know, sorry. BTW, I'm ASSuming you're planning to use such a material on the cold side of the peltier AND have it immersed in salt water. Would this be correct?

you are right...
i ve got another plan too...

i am planning to make a chiller like a fridge with evaporator with non-toxic, reef-safe material.

i think about glass. but i think a glass pipe cannot resist high pressured gas...

KevinM
07/06/2003, 10:34 AM
yamant said...
i am planning to make a chiller like a fridge with evaporator with non-toxic, reef-safe material.
i think about glass. but i think a glass pipe cannot resist high pressured gas...

If you're going with a refrigerant chiller, why reinvent the wheel and possibly end up with something that may harm your tank? Just get the titanium and be done with it. There is no better material for what you have in mind.

Kev

yamant
07/06/2003, 10:38 AM
KevinM,

i think about titanium but it's hard to find right here

liquidfunk
07/06/2003, 01:50 PM
there is always platinum,, but im not sure thats in your budget :)

its the least reactive (at least in the human body) of all metals.

Han Cicimen
07/06/2003, 05:27 PM
Wher you can find peltier effect coolers there?

yamant
07/07/2003, 01:40 AM
Merhaba Han,
i am trying to modify the peltier effect cooler of a small car cooler. i bought the car cooler from Tansas.
what do you think could we found titanium plate or titanium pipe from Turkey.

liquidfunk
07/07/2003, 10:53 AM
I saw someone who had used a huge computer CHIP fan (the ones with glue on one side, fan and the heat sink) just stuck on to the sides of his sump. The site claimed it droped his 100 gallon 3-4 degrees in a matter of hours.

just a thought, if your chiller doesnt work out. This would be a fairly inexpensive chiller idea. The tank I saw had 2 on one side, they were each huge, (for pc chips) like 4-5 inches square.

good luck with the chiller, let us know if it works out.

yamant
07/07/2003, 11:18 AM
liquidfunk
it's interesting because glass is a bad heat conductor, but i will try heat sink+fan alternative