PDA

View Full Version : Taking suggestions for return pumps for 125 RR.

...Stoked!
07/03/2003, 09:04 PM
The tank has two overflows, one in each corner. What are my options as far as return pumps go? Anyone with a 125 please tell me what you're running..
In a search I found the Mag18 to be popular, but I think 2 would probably be overkill...but maybe not!
I like the new Rio HFs, but cant find em online ANYWHERE! Thanks

wld1783
07/03/2003, 10:48 PM
HELL NO ON THE RIO

Iwaki or Mak 4. I have used both and their well worth it.

Bill

Nanook
07/04/2003, 05:12 AM
Iwaki 30 MD RXLT or 40 would work nice. I used the 30 on my 120 gallon tank...worked nicely.

Nanook

newreefers
07/04/2003, 05:45 AM
my 125 is the same as yours and I use a little giant for the return.

mojodeli
07/04/2003, 09:02 AM
I just bought a mag 12 for mine. If you are thinking submersible.

...Stoked!
07/04/2003, 10:30 AM
So you are running just one return...into a "t" or "y" I guess right??
Im unsure whether I should go that route, two seperate returns or a non-submersible pump (gen-x, Iwakim etc etc).
It would be easiest to just run two pumps....
Im unfamiliar with the exterior pumps...what do they cost?
Thanks for all your input.

mojodeli
07/04/2003, 10:49 AM
I haven't set up my return yet. I literally got the mag 12 about 12 hours ago. I plumb it in the weekend.

I am planning one return line into a T fitting.

If I were you I'd run one overflow into a fuge.

...Stoked!
07/04/2003, 10:54 AM
How are you plumbing yours?? PVC or Nylon tubing?
I should already have all this figured out, but..... ya know :)

moonpod
07/04/2003, 11:00 AM
Assuming you have 2 one inch drains, you can get a max flow in the 1400 gph range. That being said, I personally prefer shooting for 7-10 tank turnovers (so 900 gph or so) and getting a lot of supplemental circulation--decreases overflow to sump noise issues. Anyways, I like true external pumps over submersibles personally. Assuming 5 feet of head pressure or so, this a list of reasonable choices IMHO:

Iwaki 30 RLXT (really in many ways the gold standard)
Blueline HDx30 (iwaki knockoff that is cheaper)
GRI 518 (energy effecient, well built, pricey)
CSL T4 (dead silent, runs hot however)
Mak4 (noisy, energy effecient, cheap)
Blueline 1100 (noisy, energy effecient, cheap)
L.G. 3 mdqxc (REALLY noisy, energy effecient--this may have changed, I've heard they got rid of the fan)

If you go submersible I'd recc: Eheim, Dolphin or Mag.

mojodeli
07/04/2003, 11:05 AM
1"flex tubing into a 50 gallon sump with a euroreef cs8-3/sedra 9000

My sump is separated in half. Fist half is the skimmer and the other half will house my macro. I will put the mag12 into a small bucket with holes so it doesn't chew up my macro.

1/2" pvc return to T fitting #1 and ball valve for water changes. The other side will fit into another ball valve and then up to the tank.

...Stoked!
07/04/2003, 11:20 AM
the Iwaki is better priced than I was assuming..
So one Iwaki running both return lines would be enough with supplemental flow (PHs) is what you are saying right??

moonpod
07/04/2003, 11:24 AM
stoked, you probably looked at the american iwaki price. The japanese iwaki is priced a lot higher, and most claim is a better pump--there are A LOT of different parts between the two and to boot, the japanese doesn't even come w/a plug (i guess they're "giving you the option" to hardwire the pump). The blueline HD is supposed to be a rip of the japanese version. Anyway, yeah, I think that w/supplemental circ a 30 rlxt if fine. If you want go up to a 40. The 40 is much noisier as I believe the 30 doesn't have a fan and the 40 I know does for sure.

North Bay 101
07/04/2003, 11:31 AM
I am using a Gen-X MAK4 pump that is "teed" 8" above the pump and returns are two 3/4" lines.

...Stoked!
07/04/2003, 11:36 AM
yeah its like $80 difference..
Could be worse :)

So it doesnt come with a plug! Id have to buy one as I dont plan to hardwire anything :)

I think im gonna plan on going that route... Thanks for everyones help!

Ray

3_high_low
07/04/2003, 11:49 AM
I guess there are trade-offs when selecting a pump. I have an Iwaki MD55RLT, it has been a reliable soldier for a couple years but I wish it were more quiet! From what I've read, the Velocity T4 is quiet but it heats the water a bit. Is there a pump anyone can name that is almost as quiet as the T4 but runs cooler?

Moonpod, any regrets with your T4's? How's the heat issue on your 180g?

moonpod
07/04/2003, 12:01 PM
Mark, a T4 won't even budge the temp on a 180 I'm betting. It's only been on my test 55 so far and even then (80 gallons total) only pushes the temp a couple of degrees. I don't have my sump for my 180 yet, so everything is being tried out either on my 55 system or on an extra sump I've got. I've been messing w/a blueline HD55 and it is quieter than the iwaki 55....but ya know, you still hear the fan--but definitely quieter....the GRI 518 is in the ballpark noise wise....the T4 isn't quiet BTW, it's silent. You CANNOT hear the thing. What I don't like about the T4 is the fittings. For some stupid @$# reason they put barbs on it, whereas the rest of the CSL line has threaded fittings (which I'm partial to). You could try a dolphin or sequence and choke the thing down majorly....those are very quiet energy effecient pumps. If you can find a sequence SEQ10, the only downside is that it has 2" intake plumbing, that stuff is HUGE--it pushes like 2100 or so at zero and is not pressure rated, so isn't as much overkill vs the iwaki 55 as you might think. The dolphins have 1.5" intake plumbing, and even the 2100 dolphin pushes like 2700 or something at zero, so it might have to be severly throttled....The dolphin pumps are HUGE though.....sequences are a bit smaller. The SEQ10 is hard to find though cause it's out of production now...and make sure you get the saltwater seals, these come out of the factory as pond pumps.

3_high_low
07/04/2003, 12:34 PM
Thank you for your detailed response. I'm going to take my time and hopefully do the right thing:)

...Stoked!
07/04/2003, 12:48 PM
Are the bluelines anygood? I know they are 'knock offs' but that isnt ALWAYS a bad thing..

moonpod
07/04/2003, 03:19 PM
I'm personally very impressed w/the HD bluelines....but I can't comment on longevity cause I've only run the thing for a short while. But the output is the same...the electrical consumption is the same or less, and the noise is less. They look like iwakis, but yellow instead.

Was just at a buddies place (Fridmani) and we were playing w/a GRI 518, and honestly it ain't that noisy....on par or less than an iwaki 40 I'd say....

The original blueline pumps I dunno....I have the 800, which is like super energy effecient, but it whines....I don't know that it's that loud, but the pitch is annoying and travels....There's a review of the 1100 by newkie I believe, and he found it to be reasonable. You gotta make sure they are well padded and not vibrating....