PDA

View Full Version : Electric help

TragicMagic
07/03/2003, 06:42 PM
Hi All,

I am in the process of retrofitting a mini-bow 2.5 with a couple 13 watt PC, and I wanted to install a fan between the lights, and the perferation on top of the hood to blow out the hot air. I went to raidio shack to get a small computer fan to do the job, and asked the employee how I would hook up the fan so that I can plug it into an AC outlet. He told me it was not possible, and that was that. Now I have no idea what I am doing, but I can't imagine it to be impossible to hook it up to the wall outlet, given the appropriate converters and what not. Raidio shack isn't any help, so I was hoping one of you electrical savey DIYers could help me to the correct equipment.

Thank you,
Tony

skipm
07/03/2003, 07:15 PM
All you need to do is match the voltage of the fan to the voltage of the power source. You may even have a couple of old power sources laying around from old cell phones, video games, etc. If you have old power sources like these laying around then all you need to do is match the fan to the power source. The only other thing to check is to make sure that the fan does not draw more current than the power source is rated to produce. Good luck, Skip

beaker020
07/03/2003, 11:51 PM
An old computer power supply (AT style) works well

schwaggs
07/04/2003, 01:36 PM
Look at the label on the fan, it is most likly a 12 Volt DC (direct current) fan. You can also get 120V fans that can plug directly into the wall but I wouldn't reccomend using a 120V fan that close to water.

Anyway, assuming it's a 12V fan, either look around the house (as skipm mentioned) for an unused "wall wart" (the pack you plug into the wall to power low voltage items like cordless phones, electronic toys, etc) that outputs 12V DC or go back to the useless radio shack guy and buy a 12V DC adapter.

Make sure the voltage of the wall wart you use is close or slightly less than the voltage of the fan. Radio Shack sells an adjustable wall wart with a switch on it's back where you set the wall wart to the voltage of the device you are powering. This can be used to vary the speed of the fan. By setting the voltage lower than the fan's maximum voltage, the fan will move less air but will also be much quieter.

You also need to make sure the the wall wart you use is capable of providing enough current (Amperage) or the wall wart will overheat and possibly fail. Again, look on the fan label and check the Amerage (either A or mA sometimes ma). It should be something like 100 Ma. Make sure the wall wart can output this much or more. For example, if have a wall wart that is capable of providing 300 mA, and your fan requires 100 mA, you would be fine.

jon

TragicMagic
07/07/2003, 06:26 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the help, I knew it couldn't be that difficult. I will see what I can find around the house.

Thanks again,
Tony