PDA

View Full Version : Foggy Tank!!!! Eak!!!!!

lightningaccess
07/03/2003, 03:36 PM
It's a new tank that has 120 lbs of aragonite in it. It settled all down to be pretty then I went and bought 2 mid-sized hermits. now my tank of all fogged up. it's a 75 gal and I have a Remora Pro skimmer, I'm turned off the powerheads to see if it would clear but it's been a week now and it's exactly the same.

R33f3r
07/03/2003, 04:36 PM
It takes awhile. My 30 took 3 weeks while my 75 took 3 days. It depends but it WILL clear up.

Nathan
07/03/2003, 04:41 PM
I used Home Depot sand and I RINSED IT before putting it in. I know it's contraversial to rinse the sand, but I don't believe the hype and my tank has been awesome for 3 years. No problems.

-Nathan

Newreeflady
07/03/2003, 05:11 PM
it is silt. I didn't rinse my sand, eventually, it'll form, I don't want to say a layer, but maybe a film of sorts... and that will keep it grounded. Just be patient.

Angela.

Toutouche
07/03/2003, 05:59 PM
As it gets coated with bacteria, it'll get heavier to the point that it will stay down like any other sand. Do you have any LR in the tank yet?

lightningaccess
07/03/2003, 08:46 PM
i'm going to get my LR next week, will that help?

CedarReefer
07/03/2003, 08:49 PM
I have been known to place the hang on type filter for about a day or 2. I guess a canister filter could be used for about a day aso. Just enough to get some of the finer particles

Sean

Toutouche
07/03/2003, 09:03 PM
Lighntingentrance:p ,
OH YEAH!!!!! The LR will definitely help!!
The problem you are having is because the sand is basically completely clean and almost sterile. Once you add your LR, the bacteria from the rock will coat the sand particles and make them heavier, in turn when your critters stir it, it will just move about near them and fall right back down on the bed. It will take a bit of time to mature, but you HAVE to be a bit patient. If you're not the patient type, then get out of this hobby right now!!! You will just spend and waste too much money. This whole process is why lots of people who know what they're talking about say that ou shouldn't be making a tank into a full blown reef right from the start. AFter the initial cycles have passed on a new tank, it really doesn't mean THAT much. The tank still has lots of maturing and stabilizing to do ecosystem wise. The sandbed, water, LR, etc... all have to develop they're different bacterias and microlife to complete the circle in your tank. Until this happens, your tank is usually not considered mature yet.
So, once that rock is in, with just a bit more time, you'll see a definite difference.
By the way, have you ever been in the real oceans? The sand stirs up PRETTY easily down there, and believe me, the oceans have had time to mature by now!!!:rolleyes: