PDA

View Full Version : MH bulbs

kastanzaman
07/03/2003, 12:59 PM
This may be a weird question, but is it ok to handle MH bulbs with bare hands or should you only touch the bulbs with a cloth or something like that.
I only ask because i remember those halogen lamps that got really hot and if they had oil from your hands on them they could break.

lowbudgetreefkeeper
07/03/2003, 01:08 PM
I only ask because i remember those halogen lamps that got really hot and if they had oil from your hands on them they could break.

yup... same applys to metal halides also.. if you touched the bulbs on accident just wipe it with some rubbing alcohol

kastanzaman
07/03/2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks, you would think they would state that somewhere in the packing

PYelton
07/03/2003, 04:31 PM
I disagree -oil from youre hands wont cause halides to explod.I've been playing with HID lamops for a long time -never had or heard of a problem.

Jeremy B.
07/03/2003, 11:01 PM
Agreed, handling a MH Single End lamp is absolutely no problem at all. The double end is a different story, and should be handled like a "halogen" type lamp.

Jeff Littlefield
07/05/2003, 06:15 PM
I too have handled MH bulbs single end with bare hands and never had a problem, except for the burns on my finger tips. Later Jeff

clamster
07/06/2003, 01:39 AM
Aqualine Busch's bulbs have explicit instructions NOT to touch MH bulb with your hands. Personally, I handle with my hand when I screw in the bulb and use a paper towel on the bulb... but my hands are usually dry and flaky to begin with...

BTW, Aqualine Busch's bulbs do not last very long on a coral life ballast... IME.

blgreef
07/06/2003, 06:57 AM
why risk it!!!

The reason not to handle halogens is that the grease can cause a hot/cold spot on the bulb that shortens its life considerably, or lead to micro crack in the quartz.

strange things start to happen to halides if they run too hot or if there are cold spots on the bulb. and a hot or cold spot will only weaken the bulb and it may be possible that chemicals can leach into the glass/ quartz at high temperatures

SO why risk it when all you need to do is wipe the bulb with alcohol??

PYelton
07/06/2003, 01:45 PM
I'm absolutely sure that 90+%of people touch their halides with their bare hands..and how often have you heard of a problem-something like oh.. -never??;)

I guess whatever makes you feel comfortable is what you should do, personally I'm comfortable handling mine the way I have for the last 10 years or so.