PDA

View Full Version : hang on fuge

tsalter
07/03/2003, 09:40 AM
I found a supreme aquamaster hang on basically plastic box at a LFS I bought it to use as a fuge. The box is 8" high 14" long and 4 inches deep. (No digi camera) The problem is is that it hangs flush with the top of the tank. Can I put a siphon U tube running from the hang on tank to the main tank as a return? I would use a little power head to pump water into the fuge. As I am typing I realize that I can also tap the side of HOB with an emergency drain to run to my sump incase of overflow. What do you think?

T

Acolin
07/03/2003, 09:57 AM
As a first attempt, I don’t think that a HOT filter box is a bad idea; just a little too small for the size for the aquarium that you have. The idea of a mud-based, macro-algae refugium is to have only an inch or so of the mud, but a large surface area for it. So while the HOT filter with a pump and constant (24/7) daylight is a good start, you may want to graduate to a larger system later if you like the results.

tsalter
07/03/2003, 10:14 AM
Cool- I understand that bigger is better. This isn't a HOT filter box or maybe it is if they also go by supreme aquamaster. I was just looking to replicate a small cpr hob for some nitrate export. Not concered about mud just a place for some critters to reproduce and dump back into my tank. I want to have the return via siphon so that they won't get chopped by a pump. I was wondering if this was a viable idea.

Thanks

T