PDA

View Full Version : Idea to raise canopy

wayne_sreef
07/03/2003, 07:50 AM
Currently I have AGA made oak canopy.(picture attached) I would like to raise it at least another 6 – 8� to accommodate for MH system. I know the simplest way is to add legs but it will looks odd. I was thinking I can disassemble it add taller panel between the trims but how do you get them apart? The nail is easy to pull but the glue is difficult to get it apart without damage the wood. Any ideas, to do designs, picture illustrations will be helpful. Thanks.

lilbuddy
07/03/2003, 08:53 AM
If your looking to put some mh in that hood there is a reefer on this board that has 175 watt mh in a modern series hood. I have the same canopy but decided to build a new one when i added mh. I know it stinks b/c you spent money on that canopy but to me they are not user friendly for reef lights.:(

jarhead
07/03/2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by lilbuddy
I know it stinks b/c you spent money on that canopy but to me they are not user friendly for reef lights.:( Ditto. My Oceanic RR came with a canopy which is a total waste. For now, I am using it with just the VHOs. I will build a new canopy when I move to meta halides.

lilbuddy
07/03/2003, 09:06 AM
I was able to use my old canopy with vhos but when i went mh i had to build this one. It cost me a little under 65 bucks, included was the wood, screws, trim and paint. It actually came out better then i thought.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/21592canopy.jpg

jjkahler
07/03/2003, 06:23 PM
If you are good with woodworking, you can do what I did. I bought an oak canopy, then found out that it was not high enough for MH's. So I just added another 6" to the existing canopy. Just use would glue and a couple supports to hole it together. Sorry no pictures on the inside, but you get the idea.