PDA

View Full Version : SeaClone into Calcium reactor?

Leviathan
07/03/2003, 04:04 AM
After a long websearch, and an RC search I have come up with not one shread of info on the possibility of converting an old Seaclone into a calcium reactor. I remember it being brought up some time ago in a thread, but I believe it ended up burried and not much was made of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, is it a waste of time or is there the possibility of turning it into a functional piece of equipment ( not what it was meant for but who cares ):D

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Theres just got to be a way to do it.

vietoriouz
07/03/2003, 04:14 AM
I am also interested in this conversion.

dattack
07/03/2003, 05:04 AM
Find the thread where a berlin skimmer was converted into a calcium reactor. That might give you some ideas.

or just look at some of the DIY calcium reactors and that will give you the basics.

Leviathan
07/03/2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by dattack
Find the thread where a berlin skimmer was converted into a calcium reactor. That might give you some ideas.

or just look at some of the DIY calcium reactors and that will give you the basics.

One step ahead of you.

I have been researching it most of the evening. Hopefully I will be able to do some sort of conversion with it. Its been in the closet for almost 3 years now:D

If I make some progress on it, and it looks like it is going to work, I will make sure to post the DIY directions for all to see.

Thanks

jhead67
07/03/2003, 02:24 PM
As an owner of an old seaclone skimmer and a new DIY calcium reactor I would have to say it would most likely be more trouble than it's worth to turn it into a reactor. I looked into it for a little while and finally gave up. It was going to be just as easy to build it from scratch and to try and hack off enough bit and pieces to get it to work correctly.

Just a few thing that would have to happen:

The smaller inner tube must be removed completely.

The collection cup would have to be butchered to make it work or removed and the top of the skimmer covered somehow.

I'm not sure the the small hole in the bottom of the skimmer would allow for the proper circulation of water and co2 through the media and might have to be enlarged. What a PITA that would be.

I think it could be done and you/or I could probably do it. I found a few threads that talk about a kalk reactor from a sealcone, that might be easier. One has a picture that looks do able, I just think it was more fun and less frustrating to build it from scratch. The cost of the co2 tank($80 filled), the regulator($69 on ebay),the media($20), and the misc fittings to make it work(about $25). At this pont you might as well spend the extra $100-$200+ to build or get a reactor. So I did, It cost me about $150+/- to build a take off of Sanjay's reactor. Most of that was the pump, acrylic and the $40 worth of cleaners, glues and bits that I need that I didn't have.

BTW there is a CA reactor on eBay, with tank and regulator for a little over $200 right now (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2332800375&category=3212). If you could get it for under $300 it would be a steal.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165153&highlight=seaclone
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121759&highlight=seaclone

Leviathan
07/03/2003, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info jhead67.

DJ88©
07/03/2003, 03:29 PM
There have been threads about turning a seaclone into a Kalk stirrer. is that what you are thinking of?

Leviathan
07/03/2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by DJ88
There have been threads about turning a seaclone into a Kalk stirrer. is that what you are thinking of?

Yes, I believe you are correct.

I found that DIY thread earlier.

Thanks.:)