PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Tubing

shortee
07/02/2003, 09:36 PM
Is Vinyl tubing safe for Aquarium use. I want to use it under to tank to the sump. If not what do you suggest to use that is flexible.

Thanks
BD

drscheck
07/02/2003, 10:40 PM
I have used vinyl tubing for years without a problem...there is flexible PVC tubing available. Just do a google search on it. It usually runs about $1.00 per foot.

Nammy
07/03/2003, 09:04 AM
I found 6 inch square Vinyl tubing at Home Depot; I think it's used for fence post. It’s white like PVC on the outside and green on the inside. Does anyone know if the stuff is safe for Aquarium?
I would like to use it for a grow-out system.

SciGuy2
07/03/2003, 11:13 AM
Nammy,

It is probably made with recycled plastic. Look for the recycing logo (triangle made of arrows). I'd hate to recommend any product made with recycled plastic for aquarium use. Too many possible contaminants in recycled plastic.

JMO

CedarReefer
07/03/2003, 11:19 AM
It's nice to know that somebody wants to use flexible stuff rather then PVC and all the joints. Yes, it looks nicer, but with all the angles and bends it restricts the water flow. With flexible tubing, you can make gentle bends without sacrificing pressure.

Sean

mirski57
07/03/2003, 11:22 AM
Flex PVC is quite nice. I'm currently working with 100 feet of it that I ordered from savko.com for $1 a foot. Great for going around joists, air ducts, and I-beams in the basement.

CedarReefer
07/03/2003, 07:38 PM
I can't wait till I start building my new house in about 5 years. Have to wait for the kids to get out of high school. I'm going to try to design the house so the sump room in the basement is right below the tank on the main floor.

Sean

shortee
07/03/2003, 10:10 PM
What about nylon fittings?

Thanks
BD

CedarReefer
07/04/2003, 11:11 AM
Everything that is made out nylon can be found in PVC and plastic except female fittings. A plumber told me once.

Originally posted by shortee
What about nylon fittings?

Thanks
BD

Vincerama2
07/04/2003, 02:35 PM
I bought 10 feet of black vinyl tubing at HD for 3 bucks, (1/2" ID) there was a label on it that said;

Uses:
Fish Tank
Do not use for ice maker

So ... make your own conclusions! I don't think vinyl is dangerous for reef/fish tanks, since airline tubing is made from it, as are the tubes for gravel cleaning siphons, etc. It's probably not good for icemakers because of the cold or something, rather than the material leaching non-safe elements.

V