PDA

View Full Version : which pvc glue to use. and is safe??

Wind
07/02/2003, 07:17 PM
i was wodnering what kind of pvc glue is safe...

i have to cut.. my tee and.. elbow... for the durso...im wondering how to cut it too :|.... but anyhow.. if all else fails. maybe gotta do stock man =I.. hehe..

The Aquarist
07/02/2003, 09:49 PM
Any PVC cement that says it's good for potable water should be safe. I can't think of a manufacturers name but the one I get from Home Depots in NYC, NJ or PA has a mostly gold colored label.

partagas
07/02/2003, 09:57 PM
Also just a side note. Let water run through it for a while. Before you use it in your tank.

Graywolf57
07/03/2003, 12:13 AM
Oatley's is one of the common PVC glues at HD and others, at least on the east coast. Used in a lot of home water systems without problems.

clamster
07/03/2003, 02:47 AM
Yup. Iuse Oatey's too. Available @ home depot (5 minutes away from home). Used iit for years... never a problem.

RicksReefs
07/03/2003, 05:28 AM
why glue it at all? if it's for your in tank durso,
NOT glueing it will give you the chance to fine
tune it or repair it (if needed). how will you get
it out if glued? murphy's law says 2 snails & a
hermit crab will block the bulkhead if you glue it. :p

The Aquarist
07/03/2003, 07:47 AM
That's probably a good call (Not Gluing) for that application. You really only need to glue the fittings outside the tank. Oateys is the one that I use too though.

Wind
07/03/2003, 12:17 PM
OH.. i see.. because my tee, and elbow was heavily modified .. ;) so i think i need to glue it so that it sticks together..
so it will fit in my tank hehe

sdreefer21
07/03/2003, 12:31 PM
you should be able to dry fit your internals without any problems. The should fit really snug unless you grinded out anything. Also if you glue them and it gets some type of clog you are up the creek!

RicksReefs
07/03/2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Wind
OH.. i see.. because my tee, and elbow was heavily modified .. ;) so i think i need to glue it so that it sticks together..
so it will fit in my tank hehe

so do you also need to glue it to the bulkhead?
i'd leave yourself some kind of access if possible,
you'll eventually need to get in there to unclog it or
retrieve that fish that jumped in the overflow or.......:D

Wind
07/03/2003, 09:08 PM
msotly just gotta glue the top elbow and tee..

for the bottom. was thinking teflon tape or somethign..

btw.. i got this pvc 700.. ps. weld on.. is it okay??

RicksReefs
07/03/2003, 09:14 PM
if the bulkhead is a slip fitting, just getting
it snug should do the trick. if it's threaded
i'd actually recommend using teflon/silicone
based o-ring lubricant. it seals the threads
pretty well & makes removing it a breeze.

does the glue say 'safe for potable water'
if so, then your OK.

HTH

Wind
07/03/2003, 09:19 PM
yeah bulkhead is threaded..

its says formulated for plumbing, sprinklers, conduit and foam core... its from uncle... =I..

thanks for helping :)

ducati24
07/07/2003, 10:02 PM
i use oatey as well, get CPVC which is in an orange bottle. this is the stuff that is safe for drinking water and such.

how do I know it is safe for your critters you might ask?

well i'll tell ya how. The guy at my lfs accidently dropped it (the bottle, not the little applying sponge) into their 120g display tank. WOOPS! I saw him desperately try to get the bottle out before dissaster struck, but PLENTY of glue found it's way into the tank, like 1/4 of the bottle. Anyways 3 weeks later Every coral (of which there are many) and all 5 of their the fishes were alive and vibrant as ever.

I am sure there could be bad long term effects, but i think the most damage you will experience with this glue, (with a little caution) is being extraordinarily high, and having a whole mess of things permanantly atached to each other that realy were not sapposed to be.

Just as a little hint that helped me. Dry-fit (no glue) ALL of your plumbing together first. Once you have everything perfect and in place, take a marker and make little lines across each section that joins (elbows and such) so that you know excatly where they line up. Then you can reconstruct your plumbing with the glue. The stuff realy does dry quickly and very, very hard so it is worth it. GOOD LUCK MAN! ENJOY.

The Aquarist
07/07/2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by ducati24
i use oatey as well, get CPVC which is in an orange bottle. this is the stuff that is safe for drinking water and such.

how do I know it is safe for your critters you might ask?

well i'll tell ya how. The guy at my lfs accidently dropped it (the bottle, not the little applying sponge) into their 120g display tank. WOOPS! I saw him desperately try to get the bottle out before dissaster struck, but PLENTY of glue found it's way into the tank, like 1/4 of the bottle. Anyways 3 weeks later Every coral (of which there are many) and all 5 of their the fishes were alive and vibrant as ever.

That's good enough for me! Good story. There shouldn't be any doubts on that cement now!

RicksReefs
07/08/2003, 05:25 AM
except pvc & cpvc are 2 different types of pipe.
it will work, but cpvc glue is more aggressive on
pvc than normal pvc glue.
i'd stick with pvc or all purpose glues, just don't
toss it in a stocked tank & you'll do fine. :p

The Aquarist
07/08/2003, 06:52 AM
Yeah, I was wondering about that after my last post. I've used the gold labeled Oatey PVC glue for many years with great results. It is for potable water, which is drinking water. If I can drink from it, that'll work for the aquarium too.

R33f3r
07/08/2003, 08:10 AM
I used premier brand glue (15 min cure time) it for my return plumbing. Washed the pipe out real good and let it dry for 30 mins, no problems.