PDA

View Full Version : DIY Tank

loui
07/02/2003, 04:26 PM
height 16 inches
Width 36 inches
Length 60 inches

Around 150 gallons.

Garf said 3/8 acrylic will work does this seem a little thin or is it just me?

rpgraff
07/02/2003, 04:57 PM
I would think you would want at least 1/2" acrylic. I'm working on plans for a 24"x24"x24 (50 or so gallon) reef system and every calculator/recommendation I have received is 1/2" if I use acrylic.

Your tank is going to be 4" shorter than mine, so you won't have the same pressure from the water weight and with proper bracing it would probably hold water. However it is much longer than mine and I think even with bracing you will have some bowing of the front and back. I'm not sure how noticable it will be, possibly significant, but and maybe thats not a big deal to you.

I remember seeing some acrylic production tanks in use ten years ago before I got out of the hobby and I personally didn't like the bowing the tank fronts exhibited.

maximus89
07/02/2003, 06:26 PM
I will probably never hear the end of this one but here it goes. I personaly wouldnt build a tank out of anything less than 1/2" acrylic I have built a sump/skimmer both out of 1/2" scrap mostly I bought for a dollar/pound at local plastic supplier but a 4x8 sheet of 1/2' is 175.00 be well worth the piece of mind it brings with it. It stands by itself so glueing is a snap For my first ever acrylic projects getting a good glue joint wasnt that difficult! I am planning a tank also a custom overflow two drains one for closed system and some other mods that dont come stock.

loui
07/02/2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Not really concerned about the bowing, but i would feel better if this did not happen. 1/2 inch sounds alot better to me.