PDA

View Full Version : pumping water between tanks

danielevan
07/02/2003, 01:12 PM
Hey all --

I'm moving, which gives me a chance to re-structure my tank.

I'd like to put together a refugium of a sort -- but not something that's hidden away. Rather, an aesthetically pleasing tank in its own right.

The question becomes: how does one pump water between two tanks, both of which are at somewhat equal elevation?

Ideas?

H20ENG
07/02/2003, 06:12 PM
Pump into the higher tank from the lower tank (regardless of which is which)
Overflow (standpipe, side drain, or overflow box) from the higher tank back to the lower.
DO NOT try to pump in and pump out. You will NEVER match flows and flood the place.:eek2:

AcroSteve
07/02/2003, 06:21 PM
Yes.

Pump up.

Overflow Down.

sharkdude
07/02/2003, 06:53 PM
I spilt my output from a common sump to two separate tanks side by side. Both drain to the common sump via gravity.

pics at my signature link

Brett
07/03/2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by sharkdude
I spilt my output from a common sump to two separate tanks side by side. Both drain to the common sump via gravity.

That's the way I do it too because my refugium is below my main tank. It's a bit more expensive because you need two pumps, but then you can customize the flow for each tank. Typically you want far less turnover in a refugium than you do in your main tank. If you go with the one pump idea, then you either have to compromise and have more flow in the refugium or less turnover in the main tank, or both.

Also, it's best if the refugium's overflow goes into the main tank rather than the main tank into the refugium or the refugium into the sump. Obviously this is impossible if the refugium is below the main tank (as in my case), but if your refugium is the one that's slightly higher (or there's any way to make it slightly higher) I would set it up like this...

Assuming you currently have a sump, use your current pump to move water from the sump to the main tank and the overflow from the main tank goes to the sump. Get a new smaller pump to move water from the sump to the refuigum and send the overflow from the refugium to the main tank. Now, since the output from both pumps will end up in the main tank, make sure the overflow on the main tank can handle the additional flow.

If you don't currently have a sump, then you'll just need one pump to move water from the lower tank to the higher tank. The higher tank will then overflow into the lower one. I would stongly suggest that the refugium be the higher tank in this case. I would also strongly suggest that if you don't have a sump you get one and set it up now since you're reconfiguring the tanks anyway.

HTH,
Brett

sharkdude
07/03/2003, 09:55 AM
I used to have a two pump setup like Bret describes, but now I have one single pump that is split via a retrun manifold with valves that I built from pvc.

I still am able to have two separate loops of water with higher gph to main and lower gph through my cutting tank and refugium.

Refugium can drain to sump with little loss of life of micro critters, just tray and isolate it from being skimmed.

BobWeiss
07/03/2003, 02:06 PM
I was thinking that if both top tanks are at exactly the same height the connect them with a u-tube and then just gravity fed the a sump between them below. This will save on some hoses and space since you will be taking from both tank via the u-tube. Then pump back to one tank. It should all equal out. 1 pump 1 drain. Hope that helps a little.

sharkdude
07/03/2003, 02:18 PM
while a good idea in theory Bob, unless you oversize and add redundent u tubes, you are asking for a flood. All it would take is one snail or wandering anenome to clog your u tube.

Plus, drains in back look a lot cleaner design wise than a few u tubes in the tank.

Now if you had one drilled tank and another one undrilled, you could employ your suggested u tubes as an option.

Potential Floods are not an option for me and thus, while no system is foolproof, I try to minimize the risk.

Hope you have some good ideas to try out now Daniel. Good luck and post back your results.

sharkdude
07/03/2003, 02:22 PM
here is a pic of my custom manifold to split return to main display and side tank. Notice gate valve and ball valve for adjusting flows to each. side tank is supplied via vinyl hose to barb fitting from manifold.