PDA

View Full Version : Tips for drilling a 20 Gallon?

Vicious
07/02/2003, 12:48 PM
I just ordered my Diamond core bits to drill my 20 Gallon tank. Does anyone have any tips for the actual drilling process? Attached are my tentative plans unless someone thinks I'm crazy. Just concerned since it's a 20 Gallon and the glass is pretty thin.

I am thinking of trying the following:

Outside Board drilled same size as core bit
Plumbers putty (to hold water)
============= Glass ====================
Inside One board for added reinforcement

The inside board is to add additional strength

The puty is to form a seal between the outside board and glass to hold water.

The outside board will also be drilled to help hold water and keep the bit straight.

The two boards will be held together with clamps.

Thanks!

reefnerd
07/02/2003, 01:18 PM
Here's what I did when we drilled my 15:

I drilled a hole large enough to fit a 3/4" bulkhead. The rubber seal that came with the bulkhead is all I'm using to seal the hole. Before you use the putty, make sure it won't leach anything into your water. Or, use the rubber...I haven't had any leaks from the bulkhead.
When we drilled, we used some type of lube, but I can't remember what it was. Basically, to keep the bit cool enough so it wouldn't harm the glass. I have thin glass also. It's pretty strong, contrary to what we'd think.
As long as you don't rush the bit and keep it cool, it shouldn't damage your glass at all.

Keep us informed!
Chris

CUTTER_412002
07/02/2003, 01:26 PM
water is a suitable lubricant for diamond bits

i usually just packing tape the back side of the glass when drilling an assembled tank...shells a little but the bulhead hides it

neil

Vicious
07/02/2003, 03:09 PM
The putty is only a temporary measure to help contain the water I'll be using to cool the bit. Once the hole is done, then I'll use the bulkhead kit only. I just wanted to try and keep as much water in the equation as possible while drilling, so I thought a 2x4 drilled to accomodate the bit would help hold water (2 x 4 set against the putty) and also help keep the bit from wandering over the glass.

Thanks for the tip on the taping the inside, I'll use that!

Mike

FJ40
07/02/2003, 03:32 PM
What part of your tank are you drilling (back)? Are you going to use an overflow box inside the tank or are you just going to do a durso on the outside?

reefnerd
07/02/2003, 03:43 PM
I see! I thought it was going to be perma-putty...
I used an overflow box on the inside-Cut in in half and glued it over the bulkhead hole. Works just like one of dem dere Oceanic built-in overflows!

Chris

Vicious
07/02/2003, 04:47 PM
Actually I found a pretty nifty bulk head setup courtesy of rnmahler in the Nano forums.

http://www.eazyreef.com/configpictures.html

He uses a kit he purchased that is basically a 90 degree elbow with teeth cut into it. I've found the bulkheads I'm going to use at

http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=2

and also the Clear PVC 90 degree elbow. I'll be ordering everything in the next week or two, want to make sure my order goes through for the Diamond Core drill bit's first. I'm supposed to be getting a 1 1/8" bit and a 1 3/4" bit for $55 including shipping. It's my first eBay related purchase (so I'm a little paranoid).

Also I'll be finishing my hood and stand this weekend, and sometime in the near future will be building it all into a website as well.

Vicious

frank171
07/02/2003, 10:03 PM
where did you buy the bits from, planing on doing the same thing,

thanks
Frank

Graywolf57
07/03/2003, 12:10 AM
you shouldn't have any problems with the drilling setup you mention but I would suggest removing both wood braces you described. Once the bit starts it stays straight. Plus the wood will give you a false sence of security when all you need to do is go really slow. The putty dam and water are essential.

Slow is the key, I just used a diamond dremel bit and cut out a hole in a 2.5 gal which is really thin glass.

ez1ez
07/03/2003, 12:28 AM
I marked the spot and went to my local glass/window repair shop and the drilled it on the spot for $10.00. Saved myself the cost of a bit and worry of screwing it up.

jdieck
07/03/2003, 12:35 AM
Insure that the glass is not tempered as tempered will shatter if you try to drill it.

masterfuji01
07/03/2003, 03:14 AM
usually only the bottoms of tanks are tempered. i jsut drilled the back of mine today. use lots of water, and make sure you score the glass before you just start drilling away. it will help a lot.

Vicious
07/03/2003, 05:24 AM
I found two local shops that would have doen it for me, the first shop wanted $20 a hole (3 x $20 = more than two bit's + shipping), the second wanted 12.50 per 15 minutes, with a 1/2 hour minimum and wouldn't guarantee the tank. The bit's cost me a little, but I'll take much more care doing it myself than someone in a glass shop would, who knows coulb be hung over or ****ed at a girlfriend or his/ her boss........

But most importantly, I really like doing things myself. Now if I could only figure out how to build a pump and a SCWD.......

Once again thank everyone for their tips, I'll be posting when I get my bit's and do this.

Vicious
07/03/2003, 05:28 AM
The bit's I found on ebay as a 5 bit set. They weren/t the size I needed, so I contacted the seller and she had the sizes I wanted in stock. Here's where I'm a little worried both bits (1 1/8" bit and a 1 3/4") were $55 including shipping. The cheapest 1/34" bit (fit's a 1" bulkhead) was around $50 everywhere else I saw it. If it's not too good to be true, I'll get permission from the seller and post her information here for everyone.

Mike

ski7895
07/03/2003, 05:44 AM
I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION
AFTER YOU GET THE HOLE DRILLED IN THE BOOTOM OF THE TANK, ARE THERE BULKHEAD KITS FOR THIS AND DO THEY COME WITH SOME TYPE OF PREFILTER SO NO SAND GETS IN THE FAILTER ITSELF.
I WANT TO DRILL 2 HOLES IN THE BOTTOM OF MY TANK(70GAL) WOULD THIS WEAKEN IT OR NOT

Vicious
07/03/2003, 07:30 AM
Most tanks or at least a great deal of them use tempered glass for the bottom. You never want to try and drill tempered glass as it will break. Before you attempt it, check out your tanks and find out the specifics.

In my case I am drilling the back of the tank close to the top of the tank, creating a surface skimmer. If you did try to drill the bottom of your tank in my opinon you would need a piece of acrylic or glass to seperate the drain from the sand. Most people place these in the corners, like you see in reef ready tanks.