PDA

View Full Version : Chem-marin Stop Aiptasia Warning

beerguy
07/02/2003, 10:49 AM
I finally seem to be getting a handle on my aiptasia problem thanks to a new batch of peppermint shrimp but one of the things I tried was a product called "Stop Aiptasia" from Chem-marin.

I was using kalk paste but the little b@stards were still reproducing faster then I could kill them. I saw the product mentioned and it said "reef safe" so I gave it a shot. Within 24 hours of the first application I started seeing some tissue damage on a few of my sps. My favites and my hammer were fine as were many of my acros. I thought it was unrelated and gave some remaining demon spawn another shot the next day; wrong.

In all but one of the acros, the damage seems to be recovering. Two of my hardiest corals, m.digitata and m.cappricornus (both green), are facing a steady decline. The green cap just started losing color from the inside out. Day to day it's almost imperceptible but it is increasing. This morning it had a very large gathering of pods on it, no doubt feeding on dying tissue. The green digitata now has very sparse and somewhat deformed polyup extension. I'm fragging both in an effort to save them but it's not looking good.

I'm doing water changes several times a week and running carbon. As I mentioned several acros are recovering, but there is still a steady decline in the green moniti's. Oddly enough, my orange cap and orange digitata seem to be uneffected.

It's very strange. I think I'm doing all I can so this post is really just a warning.

FWIW - The color loss on the cap can be seen here. (http://www.hopdog.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=lastup&cat=&pos=2) The color is now almost totally gone.

NTidd
07/02/2003, 10:55 AM
It seems that people should start suing these companies that make medicine and tell you that it's reef safe. Might beable to get some of the money back that you put into your reef. Does this make sense to anyone? People can sue McDonalds for hot coffee, I would think that it wouldn't be that difficult to sue a company that makes false claims about their products resulting in waisted money and numerous deaths. Think about it...

kevlouie
07/02/2003, 11:01 AM
Well that just sucks. I hope they recover. What the heck is in that stuff ("Stop Aptasia") anyway? Peppermints have always worked for me, just take a little time. Ya gotta cut the top off the big ones so the pepps can get them. Sounds like you are doing what I would do, run carbon and water changes. Good luck.

Aquaman
07/02/2003, 11:05 AM
Hmmm, Strange I've used stop aptasia a number of times and never had a issue with my acro's.

beerguy
07/02/2003, 11:11 AM
The wierd part is that the green, not the orange, monti's are what's being hit hard.

Rockfish
07/02/2003, 01:30 PM
I've used this stuff with no ill effects either. I just nuked one that was encroaching a piece of Green Plating Montipora. I am 100% positive it got on it also. Not only that but my cleaner shrimp come out and try to snag the left over clumps that shoot out when I miss target. No ill effects on them either. The stuff works as advertised on the brown pesky aiptasias but does not phase those brighter green mini aenomes. Still looking for something to kill those things.

Steve

cdgrover
07/02/2003, 02:17 PM
I AGREE! I used the "Stop Aptaisia" about 2 years ago. I still had a softy tank with only one or two sps corals. It was almost the next day that I saw my hairy mushrooms start to die off. A couple days later it was an open brain, and it kept continuing. I lost 7 different corals before it was all done. I am not saying that this was what caused it BUT. . . before introducing this stuff to my tank everything was thriving. Peppermint shrimp I find to be the best aptasia killer out there. I WILL NEVER TOUCH THAT BOTTLE AGAIN!