PDA

View Full Version : Cyanoacrylate accelerator

tag007
07/02/2003, 10:35 AM
I used this stuff last night in haste to repair a cracked hang on refugium. I didn't like the smell of the stuff, and it didn't seem to disapate much even after several salt scrubs.
Anyway being late, cleaned it the best I could and put it on the tank.
Now this morning I am wondering if I didn't toxify the tank..

Anyone have any idea how bad this can be for the tank.

Keep in mind also this is a 6 gallon nano..

thanks.

-Tag

DJ88©
07/02/2003, 10:54 AM
I always used to use cyanoacrelate to mount frags. Many people do this all the time. Best thing to use IMO. HTH

rvitko
07/02/2003, 11:28 AM
Cyanoacrelate is crazy glue or super glue. I can't imagine what the accelerator would be besides expensive water as cyanoacrelate is polymerized on reaction with water. I think it should be safe- perhaps this is some methacrylate ester for acrylic repair? in most cases the volatile compounds responsible for odor are not very water soluble and will simply dissipate whether their is water or not and should not dissolve in water- maybe ask Habib.

tag007
07/02/2003, 12:28 PM
Appreciate the response. Maybe Habib does know. I was comfortable using the Cyanoacrylate glue, but only having used the accelerator on projects that spent more than 2 hours out of water, I am just a little concerned.
It is defenitely more than H2O, but will check ingredients list when I get home.

jman785
07/02/2003, 01:42 PM
My fish store is located inside of my dads hobby shop...anyway...the accellerator does smell horrible...I personally would not use it for anything that has to do with aquarium use...if you want a good CA/Cyanoacrylate glue accellerator use baking soda :) Works great, just use a small scoop or something to apply a little, it will harden any part that it touches pretty much :)

- Jared

Mako
07/02/2003, 02:24 PM
The accelerator used for cyanoacrylate is composed of acetone solvents.

rvitko
07/02/2003, 02:33 PM
Acetone is OK- it is used in some extreme situations as a solvent for introducing some medications to aquariums which are poorly water soluble- someone apparently made off with one of my books but it is mentioned in Dr Dieter Untergassers book of Discus Diseases published by TFH.