PDA

View Full Version : bulkheads

pistonfister
07/02/2003, 07:50 AM
I have 2 rubermaid containers that I am going to use one for a sump and 1 for a refuge. I atached them together with 1 1/4 inch pvc and fittings from the electrical department. I could not find any gaskets for these so I used a glue to help seal them that I had used before on other projects. Well they held for a little while and then started leaking. Now the bulkheads are glued together on the containers.

My question is there anything I can use to around the outside of these to hel seal? I have been told that silocone will not seal to the rubermaid containers. Is there something else I can goop on there?
Thanks for any help

drscheck
07/02/2003, 07:57 AM
I believe rubbermaid containers are made of polyethylene, so you may want to go to your local hardware store and read the containers until you find something suitable for the material.

I would think that silicone would work. JMO

Fonchy
07/02/2003, 10:31 PM
I dont know if this would help but I used a bicycle inner tube and made a gasket out of that.

What I did was to cut the tube a little bit smaller than the bulkhead so it will have a snug fit an woala!!!!!!!!!! no leak.

My 0.02 cents

ziah
07/03/2003, 02:18 AM
Pisontfister...any way for you to post a pic? I'm looking at doing the same thing you are doing and a visual would really help.

pistonfister
07/03/2003, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I endded up finding some gakets by the toilet stuff at the hardware store. The sytem is up and running without any leaks.