PDA

View Full Version : Under sand Jets

Robbob29
07/01/2003, 06:23 PM
Has any one ever tried using under the sand jets in thier salt water tank. I have one set up in my cichlid tank and it is great for water flow. I was interested in seeing if any one has done this with a salt water tank, I know you would have to be careful of the flow to keep the sand from blowing all over, but if you angle them right they should not be a problem.

Here is the link for the DIY that I followed

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

Thanks
Robbob

leykis1o1
07/01/2003, 07:54 PM
well im probably the only one alive that has undegravel jets in a reef tank... but...let me explain my setup!!

i use the loc=line flexible spray bar about 4' of the stuff.. ..2 feet either side of a tee that splits the 4" length...i have white quartz aquarium gravel on top of this and then the fine live sand on top of that..eventually if you have sand sifting gobies the gobies will drag the larger gravel to the top but its actually really nice to see some veriety of sand on the bottom...anyways when i run my system it makes like a fluidized bed filter effect on the bottom on most/...not all of the bottom of my sand bed...its really nice actually!! along with my sand sifters i probably have the cleanest sand..

this may also explain my my nitrates are allways 0 and my orp is near 400+ often getting near 500. i have to bring it down with vitamin c to bring it down to acceptable levels

Tpeck
07/01/2003, 08:39 PM
This is what I did, it works great

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19006

leykis1o1
07/01/2003, 08:57 PM
TPECK those are above gravel jets..id say you could call those "just above the gravel jet"s..not under gravel

Tpeck
07/01/2003, 09:52 PM
Yup, miss read

Adam101
07/01/2003, 10:43 PM
Interesting Idea, Im thinking this will be a good Idea On my new tank so for the UNder gravel ones do you just use PVC pipe and then drill holes in it every so aften that point to spread out on the bottom or do you face the holes upward? thats the only part Im confused on.:confused:

leykis1o1
07/02/2003, 09:19 AM
well the loc-line nozzles dont clog at all so i can give a thumbs up!! makes a cool fluidized bed effect-awesome!! keeps the sand churned and its interesting...2 thumbs up...

leykis1o1
07/02/2003, 09:21 AM
woops..point the nozzles at a slight angle downward...not directly down more horizontal though

Sid
07/02/2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Adam101
Interesting Idea, Im thinking this will be a good Idea On my new tank so for the UNder gravel ones do you just use PVC pipe and then drill holes in it every so aften that point to spread out on the bottom or do you face the holes upward? thats the only part Im confused on.:confused:

i think for this design you atually use a under gravel filter plate, those plastic sheet things that go under the gravel, and then pump water down the uplift tubes instead of up them.

i think this is the idea anyway. :)

Robbob29
07/02/2003, 03:23 PM
Tpeck

That is exactly what I was meaning, that is how I have my African cichlid tank set up. How is it working for you? Your tank looks great in the pictures, has Coraline started to grow on it yet, any new pics would be great.

Thanks

Robbob

JDM130
07/02/2003, 04:11 PM
That is an awesome idea! My new tank is 4' deep and I was worried about getting current down that deep, but thanks to this thread that will not be a problem! thanks Guys!
Jeff

rpgraff
07/02/2003, 05:00 PM
damnnnnn, this is a pretty cool idea and you just made me re-think the return plans for my tank.

PANZER_TANK
07/04/2003, 09:43 PM
bump..looks good...:strooper:

rene

musicsmaker
07/07/2003, 09:43 AM
damnnnnn, this is a pretty cool idea and you just made me re-think the return plans for my tank. Second that. How much do you have in all the pipes and fittings?

RJARMAN
09/16/2003, 10:29 PM
Well I am glad I stumbled upon this thread. This is a really cool idea.

Tpeck
09/18/2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments, I love it. yes they are now very pink/purple.

2 things I would/will change:

1. use a larger pump. The one that is on the tank now is 1200 gph @ 4' I would go around 1500-1600 gpg

2. I would plumb/drill holes to connect with. The way it is now if the pump broke syphon it would drain to the top of my sand bed. NOT A GOOD THING.

I am moving locations in about 2 weeks will fix this problem

Megalodon
09/22/2003, 07:02 AM
I have UGJs set up in my African cichlid tank and it is splendid.

I had them in my SW, but took them out to modify and didn't ever get around to putting them back in. It sounded like with my plans to get a DSB that it wouldn't fit in very well, but now I'm starting to reconsider. If you buried them under the sand, there wouldn't be any moving it after.

:beer:

Brian Koyama
09/22/2003, 09:50 AM
leykis1o1,
What size tank do you have and what size pump are you using for this UGJ setup?

leykis1o1
09/22/2003, 06:46 PM
i cant say for sure beccause i have one 3600GPH Mag Drive pump doing everything including my skimmer..this is going to change cause i want more flow to the Loc Line Jets as well as i will be changing my wave maker setup...all in all i will be runing the 3600GPH pump for strictly the undergravel jets and wave maker setup..soon as i get the time and money...but they work well

i used about 4 feet of spray bar for my 100 gallon tank i think i would recomend a Mag 12...