PDA

View Full Version : Just build a MONSTER of a DIY Chiller!!!

Der Goetz
07/01/2003, 05:31 PM
Hey!

I did what some DIY guys adviced and build myself a chiller based on the "2.7 cft Dorm Fridge with bucket and coiled hose inside" concept. That thing was completely overwhelmed by my 140 Gallon setup......my powercompacts brought the temp up to 81 degress opposed to 83 without the chiller......bummer...wasted 100 bucks.

Then I remembered that, when I moved to San Diego in 98, I had bought a DeLonghi airconditioner. A room-to-room unit on wheels.
The unit has 2100 watts!!!!
It hassn't seen action on over 4 years..classic dust-collector

I opened it up and the chilling radiator was sitting on top of the unit. A fan blows air right through the chilling radiator and cools the air....insufficient, eh?

Soooo....I took the screws out, dremeled around and after a minute I had the radiator bend out and hanging outside of the airconditioner unit.

I dropped the radiator into a 40 Gallon bucket filled with 80 degree water....5 minutes!!! later it was down to 50 degrees!! OMG!!!!
I'm in heaven now!

The whole setup looks more like a drop-in tank then a in-line chiller. The radiator get's dropped in the bucket, it cools the water in the bucket directly, not through the air as a middle man.

I'll have the chiller cool the 40 Gallon bucket. Inside the bucket is a rio800 for circulation and 100 feet of Flex coil garden hose (green, coiled Garden hose from Home Depot, 1/2 inch inner for $25 total). The sump has a Rio2100 which shoots water through the hoses, and the chilled water runs back into the sump. That way I have two seperate systems and the Air conditioner cannot contaminate my Aquarium water. Hooked everything up to an AquaMedic two-stage controller......wooot!

I have a big hose run the hot air away from the Aquarium, no problems there anymore, either.

I found that the dorm fridge was highly insufficient because it uses it's housing as it's cooling surface, not a regular radiator like the bigger fridges do.
It cannot get rid of the heat it extracts from the water quick enough.

I know that my DIY project doesn't really help anyone out there, who has a airconditioner on wheels lying around?No-one..... BUT: The in-window airconditioning units cost $99 at Sears, I wonder if you can do the same with those as I did with my $700 Monster?

WarrenG
07/01/2003, 08:49 PM
That garden hose is a great insulator so there is poor heat transfer. You can buy $60 worth of welded 1/2" titanium tubing from mcmastercarr.com and put that in your bucket of cold water. Run your tank water thru the titanium tubing and you'll get much better heat transfer. You could probably put the pump on a timer and just run water thru the tubing every 15 minutes or so.

CMSACD
07/01/2003, 09:23 PM
If he did that then he woudl have to buy all of his fish some nice snuggly winter coats. :fish2:

Der Goetz
07/02/2003, 09:59 AM
Since I have 100 feet it does the job nicely. But thank you for the link, I might upgrade in the future....

NoFear29
07/02/2003, 10:30 AM
Are the lines on your radiator made of copper?

musicsmaker
07/02/2003, 01:45 PM
It wouldn't matter, the water the radiator touches never goes into the tank. The radiator cools water in a bucket, and a coil of hose goes through that water. The bucket water and the tank water don't mix. :thumbsup:

NoFear29
07/14/2003, 01:19 PM
OIC, missed that part the first time.

JorgePerez
07/14/2003, 04:25 PM
Hey thats cool. Maybe Ill try it soon with a small air conditioner.......

GROSSR
07/14/2003, 10:24 PM
For those of you interested Home Depot has a 5000 btu unit for 85.00.

Maybe it is better to put in the window of the room your tank(s) are in and sleep in that same room when the wife complains about spending money on the tank.

just my 2cents.