PDA

View Full Version : DIY Salt Mix

scubadude
07/01/2003, 04:43 PM
Has anyone done this? Care to share their recipes and approaches? With all the hoopla on salt mixes why not just make your own? A bag of mortons salt cost is minimal and even if you didnt go buy your own additives you could use these additives from Aquatic Eco

http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1/itempg.icl?orderidentifier=ID1057095861755284D12&eflag=0&iteminfo4=0&itmid=7887&passitemid=7887

Pyrojon
07/01/2003, 05:04 PM
seems like alot of work to go through to save a few bucks.

That bucket will make 400 gallons of salt water (add your own salt) for $44.

An equal ammount of salt mix would cost about twice that. ie, two 200 gallon buckets of Instant Ocean cost about $100

How much non-iodised table salt would you need to make 400 gallons of salty water? Probably more then 100lbs by my guess. If it costs less then about $50 it might be worth it, but how much is the hassle of finding the stuff, storing it, mixing it in the proper proportions, etc... etc... etc... going to be worth to you?

I think I will stick with my Instant Ocean. :)

H20ENG
07/01/2003, 06:11 PM
A curator friend used to make his own- 3000g at a time. Instant Ocean came down in price enough that it was not worth the hassle anymore.
He did have a cool setup though. A spreadsheet calculator for mixing smaller batches, etc. He researched it and made up the recipe himself. He went easy on the bromide since they used ozone (turns to hypobromous acid). Some of the chemicals are nasty by themselves, so storage and inventory became a problem as well.
GO IO:D
Chris
PS, Hey dont you live by the ocean anyway???:D