PDA

View Full Version : Utility lights switched on by open door

Bruddah Chrispy
07/01/2003, 12:06 PM
Aloha kakou,

I am planning on adding utility light(s) beneath my stand. The lights have no switch, they are turned on by plugging them in (like most of us). I was thinking that it would be pretty nice if they came on automatically when one of the doors is opened. Has anyone done anything like this and/or can anyone explain to me how to go about it? I am a hardware-illiterate software engineer - please use little words. ;)

TIA!

DJ88©
07/01/2003, 01:40 PM
All you would need to do is wire in a normally open AC capable micro switch. When the door is closed it doesn't allow electricity through. When the door opens it makes a connection and lets electricity flow. All you need t do is ensure it is capable(the switch) of handling 120VAC. Take one lead of the power cord and have it run through the switch. Set the micro switch up so that when the door opens it releases a switch or arm and completes the circuit.

Set it up with two switches, one on a timer and you can have it so that your lights are on over the sump for reverse lighting and/or if the door opens, they come on.

Bruddah Chrispy
07/01/2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks!

I'm guessing that if I walk into Radio Shack they'd know what a "normally open AC capable micro switch" is?

NRA4EVR
07/01/2003, 03:30 PM
How About This?
http://www.smarthome.com/5188.html

beerguy
07/01/2003, 03:31 PM
Just be careful as most micro switches are not water tight.

A possibly safer option would be a reed switch on the cabinet and a magnet on the door.

Bruddah Chrispy
07/02/2003, 02:36 PM
Mahalo nui loa everyone!

Beerguy, what's a reed switch? My doors already have magnets holding them closed, so maybe I can make use of them.

beerguy
07/02/2003, 02:40 PM
It's a sealed switch, that is triggered by a magnet. Most of the "plastic float switches" use the same kind of switch.

http://www.jameco.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=91&prrfnbr=4854&cgrfnbr=501&ctgys=

Icepic
07/02/2003, 04:09 PM
reed switch could also be described as those switches used in the security alarm industry ,,

in small word term :) those little white square box do hicky thang on top of doors and windows in stores and homes :)

Bruddah Chrispy
07/07/2003, 09:33 AM
Mahalo again everyone. I've picked up a magnetic switch at Radioshack.

Here's my plan, please let me know if I'm about to do something very stupid. :eek: The switch comes with no wiring, and I don't want to start stripping the wiring off of the lights, so I was intending to take an old extension cord, cut one of the wires, wire that into the switch, and then plug the lights into the extension cord. Will that work?

TIA!

Icepic
07/09/2003, 07:31 PM
what is the rating of the reed switch ?

voltage and amp ?

Bruddah Chrispy
07/09/2003, 07:55 PM
120v and 50mA

Icepic
07/10/2003, 07:23 AM
the 50 ma , is pretty low , even for one florecnt light bulb ..

so best bet would be to make a relay circuit and the magnet switch turn on and off the relay , and have the relay turn on and off the light ..

if you are not familiar with relay curcuits let me know and i can draw you one one real quick on how to wire it and stuff

jpfelix
07/10/2003, 11:05 AM
how about a momentary contact switch? like the one in your refridgerator. they are quick, easy, and are sealed enough for your intentions.