PDA

View Full Version : Attaching PVC to Plexi

Reddhaus
07/01/2003, 07:54 AM
What is the best way to attach PVC to plexiglass (the kind found at Home Depot)?

Can i use PVC primer and cement?

Should I silicone it?

Should i use some form of Weld-on?

I am dreaming up a DIY project and it requires PVC pipe and fittings to be bonded to plexiglass.

Any insight or advice is greatly needed. :)

KevinM
07/01/2003, 10:49 AM
When I glue fittings onto Acrylic, I use PVC glue and let it cure for a week. The joint can be broken very easily in the first 24 hrs, but after curing a week I've had no problem. My skimmer has half of a 3/4" female adapter glued onto the acrylic, I cut the slip part off and sanded the edge flat, then just glued it on. I was too lazy, and didn't have the proper tap to make the threads right in the acrylic. This part is the threads for my input hose-barb. I regularly put MUCHO pressure on the fitting when I take the hose off for injector cleaning (it's a tight fit on the barb), and it looks to me like I'd break the hose-barb 90° off before the fitting would let go of the acrylic.
If you're careful in how much you apply, the bead even looks good around the outside!

BTW...I LOVE THAT SIG LINE!!!!! My Granddaughter loves to smack the "isshies". :hmm5:

FWIW,
Kev

jhead67
07/01/2003, 02:54 PM
Weld on 1802! The best way to go for sure, strong and dries clear, maybe a few small bubbles. You could use 40 but it is a two part mix.

terranprime
07/01/2003, 03:27 PM
Out of curiosity, why not use a bulk head?