PDA

View Full Version : Water flow in deep reef

Gogeta
07/01/2003, 02:00 AM
I have a great interest in filter feeding soft corals, especialy non photosyinthetic kinds. I have heard tons of ideas for creating the corect type of flow. Well, here is one more. I have a 20 gallon long glass aquarium. One night I got the idea of creating a false back and sides for the tank. To do this, I glud acrylic sheets to the bottem of the tank standing horizontaly. They are 1 inch from the glass. I have spacers place between the glass and acrylic to stabalize it. It is almost like a second tank inside the 20 gallon exluding the front. The back and side panels are conected. On one end of the aquarium, i have tons of holes drilled in the acrylic to alow water to flow into the acrylic chamber. On the other side, there is a lip on top of the panel. I would like to place a farily large sized pump inside of the space to push water throught. In doing so, i would like to try and see if i can get enought flow so that all of the aquarium water will move in one direction. Is this any good, or should I try something else?

H20ENG
07/01/2003, 06:23 PM
That'd work. You need room for the pump though.
Or do a closed loop style, with a powerhead pushing the flow into the back and out one side with the holes.
Remember that you will need avery strong pump to push the volume of your tank across in a few seconds (like a natural reef)
You want an even volume, but not a ton of velocity like the outlet from a powerhead.

Gogeta
07/02/2003, 04:14 AM
Aww crap! I forgot about the pump! I guess I will just have to work around it. But other wise, if I get a strong enought pump, it should work?

H20ENG
07/02/2003, 05:52 PM
Yup! Maybe you could fit forty mini jets in there!:D
You could try to drill it on the side and put in a closed loop.

Gogeta
07/03/2003, 01:28 AM
Yeah, that might work. Thanks!