PDA

View Full Version : diy calcium reactor

maximus89
06/30/2003, 10:10 PM
Anyone have a schematic diagram of water flow/carbon dioxide in a calcium reactor. I am planning on using my return pump but would like to see a schematic on how the pluming works if anyone can enlighten me on the subject would much be appreciated. Planning on building one in the very new future. And I am a cheapa** and the diy fever!

wetworx101
07/01/2003, 01:25 AM
Heres the basic concept of a calcium reactor. Water is pumped at a slow rate into and out of a seperate loop where water is circulated at very high speeds. In this loop two things exist. One is a substrate of calcium rich gravel, usually aragonite. The Second thing is an input for CO2. This input consists of a CO2 bottle, regulator (dual w/ gauges usually), a bubble counter (a small chamber that the CO2 goes through on it's way to the reactor that is half filled with water so one can count the bubbles as a means of regulating CO2), and airline to connect these aparatus to the reactor. Some reactors inject the CO2 directly into the chamber where the substrate exists, while others feed the CO2 into the inlet to the pump so the pump diffuses the gas before it enters the main chamber. Some reactors have a second chamber attached to the loops outlet. This chamber, filled with more substrate, prevents any CO2 from being wasted if it makes it's way throught the main chamber & loop without being used. In case you need to ask: the CO2 lowers the pH of the water, causing the calcium to desolve into the water. Be careful: Too much CO2 can result in CO2 returning to the main tank...lowering pH. Too much calcium can also result, not too big a problem, but when it hits an area with considerably lower pH (if the co2 is so high as to cause a major pH diff between the main tank and the reactor) it can cause a 'calcium rain', precipitating onto the main tanks insides and substrate. I have seen people's live sand turned into a solid piece of calcuim crust by this. On the other hand, too much substrate can be a disadvantage as well. It can cause the CO2 to not only dissolve the calcium, but end up re depositing the calcium in the reactor before it ends up in the main tank. This is typical of when people put reactors on tanks that are too small for the reactors rated capacity, but can be countered by simply removing substrate until a good equilibrium is achieved...or the alternative is the calcium deposits i mentioned before. A balance between CO2 flow, substrate volume, and water flow must be achieved to match your tank with close monitoring of the calcium levels and pH of you main tank.
As far as cheap ideas, go to home depot and pick up an inline filter from the plumbing department. One of the large capacity GE mechanical filters with a clear casing (around $29). Instead of using the filter media, glue in a PVC pipe that runs to the bottom of the chamber with a diffusing system of some sort (eggcrate and fiberglass screen works great). Fill the cannister with aragonite and close. next screw in some PVC and a pump. be sure to have tee's elbows in this loop. One tee will be right before the pum's intake, for the C02 to come in via a 1/4" compression fitting. The other two are for water to be pumped in and out of the reactors loop. Good luck.