PDA

View Full Version : easy cheap moonlight

CJB137
06/30/2003, 02:27 AM
I've seen the schematics and plans for the led lights but I went the easy route. I got a 6inch cold cathode bulb from Frys electronics and just spliced it one to a 12v transformer that I had and mounted that in my top. Seemed alot easier then wiring or soldering anything. Just thought I would pass it on to the lazier ones here.

chad

plus while at the store found some new fans called stealth. They are really quite almost silent. I'll post more if anyone is interested

hachomachoto
06/30/2003, 02:30 AM
Get a $5 nightlite from Target. Also CSL make one for $35 and it runs on 1 Watt. The egglite is another option but a little pricey.

DJ88©
06/30/2003, 03:02 AM
CJB137

[welcome]

It is always nice to have loads of options. Not everyone is so inclined as to build these things for themselves.

thanks for passing that on. :)

EmasCterE
06/30/2003, 03:03 AM
I'm interested! There's a Fry's down the street from me so and I'm looking for one or two blue LEDs.

How are those fans?

Entropy
06/30/2003, 09:36 AM
I am just using a 15 watt daylight bulb for about three hours after the main lights go off and three hours before the mains come on. On my 90 it provides a very soft glow to most of the tank but it doesn't seem to bother any of the critters that come out at night.

jeyes1
06/30/2003, 09:08 PM
i use a blue aquarium bulb with a light dimmer on it.they cost about $2.00 at the pet store

daveyburt
06/30/2003, 09:56 PM
I've set up some blue LEDs in my fixtures.

3.95 at Radio Shack + DC converter 3v 500ma. RadioDude said I could run 50 of the LED's on that converter.

Spliced some wire to the converter, ran it through the PC fixtures. Bulbs wired in parallel...just tapped into the wires i ran and sealed the connection with silicone.

I can bend the LED's around cuz of the leads and angle them just about any way i want.....right now highlighting all the 'green' stuff inthe tank cuz it glows awesome.

Though the LED's are kind of intense, it doesn't seem to be bothering anyone. I am still giving the tank 4 hrs of complete darkness each night.

....AND
the LED's give the wavey shimmer as do the halides......definately cool.

just figured i'd share..
GL

CJB137
07/01/2003, 04:26 AM
The cold cathode one I used from frys was vastech brand, I got the 6inch blue one for $10.99 and just cut the wires prior to the transformer on it and attached it to my 12volt adapter that i had at home. It works really good for my 58 show. I didn't notice untile I got home but if you wanted to add another it has a adapter to add another one onto the same wires after the transformer. The fan was stealth something yellow and blue box. I found them both on the same aisle at Frys. Like I said its pretty silent allot better then what I had. My old ones were so loud I just never used them.
If you need anymore help or wants pics just let me know Ill post some.

Awestralian
07/01/2003, 04:28 AM
PICS, PICS, PICS..... Please!!
:D