PDA

View Full Version : yellow fuzz attack!

poochiiiii
06/29/2003, 09:27 AM
I necided to get a 29 gal. tank. i've been running it for a week with all the sand and only 3 rocks. i've been on vacation so i've had someone turn the light on and off every day. When I came back I saw some yellowish fuzz on the sand. I do not know what it is can someone tell me what it is?

minh_han
06/29/2003, 11:36 AM
It might be diatoms. It's a natural part of the cycling process. Just leave it be and see what happens.

Hemmie
06/30/2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by poochiiiii
I necided to get a 29 gal. tank. i've been running it for a week with all the sand and only 3 rocks. i've been on vacation so i've had someone turn the light on and off every day. When I came back I saw some yellowish fuzz on the sand. I do not know what it is can someone tell me what it is?

If you're just now cycling, leave it alone and see what happens. Your tank will go through a lot of algae stages before it settles down. Make sure you have adequate circulation throughout the cycle.

justmiles
06/30/2003, 09:37 AM
I consider myself lucky in that I have only had 5 algae/diatom outbeaks since I started my tank in January. Most people see ALOT more algal outbreaks than that. From what I have discovered the secret is to 1) use RO/DI water to replace evaporation 2) until you add corals limit light to 4-5 hours per day 3) wait for the cycle to completely finish itself before adding your clean-up crew (i waited 6 weeks) 4) then wait a couple more weeks until everything has settled in before adding fish or corals 5) add things slowly, limit yourself to one addition per paycheck or so 6) do not overfeed, only feed everyother day or so.

Justin

yessongs
06/30/2003, 07:23 PM
you should use timers for the lights

poochiiiii
07/06/2003, 05:06 PM
thanks I let it sit and it went away. I went and got a timer and my tank looks great!