PDA

View Full Version : questions about my new sump/refuge design

serpentine5
06/28/2003, 04:29 AM
I am wondering if anyone sees a problem with the design I am thinking of doing with my sump/refuge? This is a above view, and please see past my artistic skills!
http://website.ubuilder.com/mikekahle/library/wannabesump.jpg
I am looking at placing the return pump in the same side as the skimmer and incomming water. I know that because of the water level, the refuge side will have some flow, but not as much as if would if the return pump was on the oposite side of the tank. Do you guys think it would work out ok like this or would it harm the refuge any? Thanks.

DJ88©
06/28/2003, 01:05 PM
You probably won't get any flow into the fuge. Where you have the retun pump in the same side as the drain from the tank it will balance out. The fuge will then become stagnant and useless.

The reason for having baffles is to isolate the return pump from the skimmer outlet and the return from your system. As you have it now any and almost all bubbles in your sump will be sent right back into the main tank. Baffles are bubble traps. Right now yours serve no purpose other than to block off the refugium.

serpentine5
06/29/2003, 02:28 PM
So I need to have the return on the other side of the refuge to assure I have flow through the refuge?

DJ88©
06/29/2003, 03:22 PM
Yes.