PDA

View Full Version : trying to cool boiling hot tank!

Matt897
06/27/2003, 01:27 PM
hey i read my tank and its up at close to 100. i'm not willing to spend any money on a chillr or anything else, i need to use what i got. i currently put a fan on high, to blow air across the top of my refugium in hopes to cool it off, plus i've been adding bottles of ice into it in hopes of cooling it down. Does anyone have any other ideas?
i'm also shutting my lights off early in hopes of keeping heat down.

KingT420
06/27/2003, 03:11 PM
Is everything dead yet???

keeping a tank cool will cost you $$$$ no matter what you do to do it. Try keeping the temp in your house low with a room ac, also NO LIGHTS AT ALL if your temp is 100,

I start shutting my lights off at 83. I also keep my house at 76-78 degrees in the day, and have a huge fan blowing AC air into my stand, and over the sump. My lights are also vented & I have 3 fans in the hood, as well as 2 in the stand, 1 over the refuge, and the one over the sump.

It is what you have to do, unless you want to fork out big $$$ for a chiller

Also, you can try to keep 1 or 2 liter bottles in your freezer, and put one in your sump every day, or every couple of hours rotating them back into the freezer. (if that isnt what you are already doing)

Leviathan
06/27/2003, 03:25 PM
100!???!

Just out of curiousity, what type of lighting is on this system. Whats the temp. in the house, cause I have NEVER heard of a tank getting that hot, high 80's yes even 90 in extreme instances but 100.:eek2:

Describe the setup a little more, especially the canopy, photo period, is it in line with direct sunlight ever, etc...? all theses things will go to help fix this problem.

Entropy
06/27/2003, 05:04 PM
100!!?!?!?!? What is the temp in your house itself? I was getting nervous last night when the tank went to 83.2 I cannot imagin 100 degrees....

Matt897
06/27/2003, 08:08 PM
hehehe nothing died YET! ummmm yea i got it down to 85 right nah.........i have two basic strip lights, basic bulbs, one attinic. nothing special people. yea i shut my lights off but that didn't seem to do much, but i must thank my little honeywell fan for blowing all that cool air across the top all day, plus a few ice packs. ehehe oh well..........it made my day alittle interesting. no AC in that room........the temp in here is about 95 or so, but electric bill is HIGH.......so i'll stick with ice packs and ice cubes to get me through the summer. thanks for your input. worried at 83? woa now that seems alittle extreme depending on what you have in it.

H20ENG
06/30/2003, 07:51 PM
Dont forget to top up with all that evaporation going on!

EdgeKrusher
07/01/2003, 01:05 PM
hey Matt,
Have you tired this simple solution? Get a couple of pop bottles and fill em with water. Freeze them, then put them in your tank. It should cool down your tank. I use this technique and it works well, though when you are away from your tank it's harder. Also if you have a table fan you can have it blow over the top of the water. More water will evaporate than usual but anything helps. Hope your tank is doing ok.

Peace

Edge

SeanT
07/01/2003, 01:41 PM
I think your themometer may be malfunctioning a little bit.
Especially with no deaths at 100 degrees.

I live in NC and have my sump in my unairconditioned garage.
It is 90+ degrees outside right now.
I have 2 x 250 w metal halides and 2 x 110 watt VHO's PLUS a LOA light over my refugium.
I have a Mag 18 and a Mag 24 in my sump adding to heat and 2 maxi jet 1200's in my main tank.
The only cooling device I have is a 4 inch fan on the back of my canopy and my temp remains 83.

I would go to a petstore or wal mart and buy a $1 little glass aquarium thermometer and double check your current thermometers readings just to be sure.

webpolk
07/01/2003, 02:12 PM
I would think it is either an inaccurate themometer or a fried heater.

Steve

FJ40
07/01/2003, 03:16 PM
My tank was 94* when I got home last Thursday night. I checked it with two different thermometers. One of my xenia is not looking too good but all of my other critters seem to be ok. We had that heat wave in the Bay Area and my outside temps were 106* at 5:00 pm. I don't have AC nor do I have any cooling fans so our house was an OVEN.

Sf Bay Area Heat Wave (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207254)

webpolk
07/01/2003, 03:18 PM
Yea, I live in Texas, so heat is a normal issue here. I guess I take for granite that everyone has powerful ACs' running 24/7...