PDA

View Full Version : bonding acrylic to glass

abomb
06/26/2003, 07:21 PM
well, i'm trying to build a sump out of a 20 high glass tank. I have acrylic dividers that i'm trying to put between 3 compartments. I have now tried to do this about 5 times. Everytime the thing doesn't work and i have to drain it and start over. I started out trying to use silicon. Silicon works well with glass, but it doesn't do so well with acrylic. After trying this a few times to see if it was my technique, I tried to use a long set epoxy. I tried this a few times as well. What I found with the epoxy, is that after a few days of being in the salt water it turns very rubbery and then the seal breaks and its time to start over.

This is getting to the point where i'm pulling out my hair. I'm thinking about either buying more acrylic and building an all acrylic sump, or buying glass and siliconing it in place of the acrylic. Please tell me there is some kind of glue i can use.

Acrylics
06/26/2003, 07:51 PM
Dow Corning #795 is an industrial silicone which works very well with acrylic. I've also heard of Marine Goop working well, but as I've never used it - can't say with any certainty.
BTW the #795 can be found at most roofing & glazing supply houses like www.coloradosteelsash.com

HTH,
James

Matthew A.
06/27/2003, 05:37 AM
If you plan on making the bond between the acrylic and the glass a permanent one, may I suggest you use Weld-on 810. It's a two part A/B type resin. The stuff bonds just about anything to anything. And it's ability to bond glass to acrylic is nothing but astounding. It is aquarium safe too once it has fully cured. Once mixed you have about 20 minutes or so to work with it. However, once it begins to setup you've got about a minute or so before it becomes solid. Great stuff. I highly recommend it.