PDA

View Full Version : HVAC help needed...

jjkahler
06/26/2003, 06:42 PM
Hope I am in the right forum. Anyway, I am in the a/c business and was wondering what kind of coil cleaners are out there that can be used on the air handler inside of my house without adverse affects on my reef tanks. A maintenance man came by about 4-5 months ago and sprayed this cleaner on the coils. All my snails started falling off the glass/rockwork, but none of them died (sort of like they were intoxicated). Anyone have any experience with reef-safe cleaners for a/c units? All help is much appreciated.

thx

Jason and Charla Kahler

H20ENG
06/30/2003, 08:00 PM
I've only ever used the Acticlean on coils at work, but it darn near killed ME. I wouldnt use it in the house.
If the coil is accessible, use plain ol simple green. Let it sit for a bit, then spray water on it to rinse it. You probably dont want to use a garden hose in there if its inside the house, but a garden sprayer will do the trick. As its draining, it will help clean out your condensate drain, too.
Good luck!
Chris

jjkahler
06/30/2003, 09:57 PM
Great, thx Chris. Didnt even think to use simple green. Will have to try that, but there are bigger problems with my apartment a/c unit and according to the lease I am not able to fix/repair the HVAC(but they did give me the ok to clean my indoor coil, go figure!). I found out that the unit is pretty small (only 1.5 tons) which would barely be enough to cool my 1,000 sq ft apartment on the top floor. I did sneak my guages on the unit and found the head pressure to be really low (like 205 on a 90 degree day). Now the hard part is trying to explain this to the landlord without telling them I put my guages on.

Thx again
Jason and Charla Kahler

H20ENG
07/01/2003, 05:19 PM
Just keep complaining that its not cold enough. Tell him you see an oily fitting indicating a leak. Maybe then he'll spring for service, or let you fix and recharge it ( with a discount on that months rent of course!).
Good luck!