PDA

View Full Version : chiller for nano idea

jpun1
06/26/2003, 03:29 AM
I was looking at the ice probe at marine depot, and it looks like something perfect for DIY'ers. Looks like just a heat sink with a computer fan on top of it. Am I correct in this observation or am I way off base? Can anyone make any suggestions on what else I would need to get from the hardware store? Take a look at this schematic from the website...

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ch_iceprobe.asp?CartId=

lowbudgetreefkeeper
06/26/2003, 04:54 AM
while a heatsink and fan is included... its not JUST those two items... the one that does the actual chilling is something called a peltier element. this looks like a square with wires running through them... one side of this element becomes cold.... while the other side becomes hot.. thus the need for the heatsink and fan...you can probably buy the elements from some kind of a computer mod site as they are used to cool overclocked cpus as well... as to making your own "ice probe" type thingamajig...... cant help you there
;)

jpun1
06/29/2003, 02:55 AM
ok i'm generally not a big diy kinda of guy, but the heat wave we've been experiencing is killing my tank! i was wondering if someone could maybe spell out possible ways to make my own chiller for a 12g nano. i'm at work during the day so i can't sit around putting ice in it all day and it's been so hot that a fan doesn't really help. any input would be appreciated!

shuky
06/29/2003, 04:03 PM
Hi
How about putting frozen 1.5-2 litres plastic bottles into a small aquariun, and use this aquarium as a sump (run water from aquarium slowly into it and back up).
replace the bottles every few hours.

you can try controlling the pump that runs the water to work on a thermostat or something, keeping the temp at regulated level.

Shuky

Nishant3789
06/29/2003, 05:56 PM
um okay.....if thats what you wanna do the whole day.......not really practical i dont think, a fans more practical and a top off

Foogoo
06/29/2003, 07:17 PM
I've actually heard of people pumping the water through a coil of tubing that is either in a bucket of ice water or one of those mini fridges. Just gotta monitor the temp and make sure it's good.