PDA

View Full Version : Install In wall

war90210
06/26/2003, 01:04 AM
I was woundering if anyone has installed thier tank thru their basement wall? I have a wall 8"* 16" concrete block wall that I was thinking of putting a hole in approx 5 course high by 4 wide in the wall. The wall is on the front of my house on the basement floor with a room approx 18' feet long by 40" wide that goes under my front porch. Will I need to have pofesional help or can I do this Myself? Should I go to the floor that wide and remove all the blocks so I can build a stand or use the remaining blocks as a foundation and build a header this would be for a 120 any help would be greatly appriciated.

cwa46
06/26/2003, 06:32 AM
The only way to remove the blocks is from the top down. If they support wight from above, a temporary support will have to be put in. Once the blocks are down they will have to be re-laid with a steel beem at the top of the opening to carry the rest of the block. If it is a support partition, then the steel beem will have to be large enough to carry the load. It doesn't sound like you have any experience, and if that is correct, I would hire a mason to fix your wall.

Adam101
06/26/2003, 11:20 AM
Ok here is what you would want to do, Its cement Block.......consider yourself lucky Mine is poured cement( harder to cut through) that said you could brace the floor above with a temp wall infront of the cement, Second cut through the cement joints( where you can I know the blocks are staggered) as they are softer then the block. then take your saw and cut crosswise through the joints at the top of the hole so you can slide in some angle Iron into the slots ====-----------------------------======
bad picture But hey what can I do then fill the cracks around the angle iron and tear down the temp wall and there you go. However that said, Just make a 2x4 wall in your basement Maybe do one under the steps) and that would be 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times easier and you dont have to mess with the actual structure of you house.........your house is older isnt it? Now a days they found that keeping the area under the poarch dry when there is basement below that they now just fill that area in with dirt and forget about it as space to be used. hope that helped some good luck

pogie
06/27/2003, 10:50 AM
I'm confused. Is this an exterior wall? Is the wall below grade?

war90210
06/27/2003, 10:25 PM
This is not below grade I have a section under my front poarch where I can have by tank for maintinance with all the equip this is putting a hole or removing all the blocks so I can place the tank about 5ft wide to the top. This would be the ideal location or should I place on second level in closet. I am just worried about weight on second floor. Besides I spend more time down in my gameroom. I have a contractor visiting with estimate... See what he says hope not to expensive.... But willsave from buying stand and conopy not to mention the looks and less noise...

marm64
06/28/2003, 10:26 PM
What you could do it put up a temp wall to support the floors above and then take all the block out in the opening that you want. Now on either side of the opening that you have you need to take out the top one or two blocks so that you can put in a header to support the weight. Depending on the width of the opening is how you would determine the height of your header. You might dbe able to do a serch on the net as to the proper height. I helped out a friend take out a load bearing wall and put in a header like you are doing it was not all that big a deal.

Good luck