PDA

View Full Version : DSB Question

msdriver
06/25/2003, 10:56 PM
If I'm building a DSB using Aragonite sand about 4 inches deep or so, is there a benefit or harm in putting a top layer of crushed coral at the top?

One reason for the top layer i suppose is a nicer overall look but will it hurt the mechanics of the bed at all? Is anyone else doing this?

TIA,

Nanook
06/26/2003, 12:27 AM
[welcome]

If you put crushed coral on top, you will effectively prevent the small lifeforms necessary for a DSB, from being able to move the top layer of sand.

I would not recommend that approach.

Nanook

msdriver
06/26/2003, 10:35 AM
makes sense thanks.

the rationale for putting the top layer from my LFS was to help better hold down and fine sand and keep it from churning so bad. i assume this really isnt a problem then once the LS is established?

Nanook
06/26/2003, 12:05 PM
It shouldn't be a problem unless you are using the new Tunze Stream pumps...they whip up a LOT of current from what I have read. Eventually, the DSB will get a coating of film, debris etc and will stay put.

Nanook

jman785
06/26/2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Nanook
It shouldn't be a problem unless you are using the new Tunze Stream pumps...they whip up a LOT of current from what I have read. Eventually, the DSB will get a coating of film, debris etc and will stay put.

Nanook

Damn are their new pumps that good? :cool:

- Jared