PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy wet/dry sandpaper

COWabonga
06/25/2003, 02:47 AM
I know i can order some from micro-mesh, but i cant wait for the shipping. Does Home Depot sell these? I nned it to get rid of some deep scratches. At what grit do you guys recommend? Thanks

COWabonga
06/25/2003, 03:09 AM
i know micro mesh starts at 1500, but if i decide to start with 600 and move my way up. Does the sand paper i use have to be "wet/dry" or can i just use the ones that they sell at home depot? The all purpose ones.

KevinM
06/25/2003, 09:39 AM
Yes, Home Depot sells Wet/Dry paper up to 600 grit. If your scratches are really deep, you might want to consider going with a first grit of around 220 (does not have to be Wet/Dry at this point). Sand with 220 until the scratch is almost gone, then switch to 320 grit Wet/Dry using it wet. Then 400...600...800 (you can find this grit at Auto Body supply...English Color is one of the better supply houses, but any AB supply will have the high grit papers). With each increase in grit, you want to sand a slightly larger area than before, to be sure and remove all the previous heavy marks.
After you're done with 600 (800 or 1200 is even better, but 600 CAN be polished out with a wheel on a high-speed drill) you'll be ready for polishing.

HTH,
Kev