PDA

View Full Version : Glass wall, plywood floor aquarium?

nancysnuwave
06/24/2003, 05:22 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of building in an aquarium in a room addition, and was looking for ideas.. possibly 96" long, 14" high, 24" wide (140 gallons?)

Here's some thoughts - a plywood 'floor' would be easier to drill than glass (although getting it painted could be prohibitively expensive?).. any ideas on costs of this stuff, say tempered and professionally drilled (if I abandon the plywood idea).

Would it be such a deal to just get a shop to cut and deliver this stuff? What about assembly? any tricks there.. is there a length restriction (I'm thinking of 'bowing' in the middle? Maybe this could be controlled with a cap brace of some type.. every so many feet? What to make this from?

I think I could be good w/ a 14" depth - then perhaps get by w/ VHO lights - possibly less heat into the room, and lower total costs? Would SPS be happy there? What's the reality of this? does it make a huge difference in appearance? 14" doesn't seem very deep, especially w/ a deep sand bed (better that in a sump?). Insulation on the bottom and back for uniformity and energy efficiciency?

What for a "back wall" color? White for light? ? Black? TROMPE L'OEIL

Also, what are the econonomies in bulb length? if we make it 8 or 12 ?? (wife would shoot me, perhaps?) feet long, would 6 foot bulbs be cheaper, or better to go w/ 4 foot bulbs (there's got to be a lower breakage cost w/ shorter bulbs)

What about circulation? It would seem as if end to end would result in stale (deoxygenated) water at the 'far' end.

Has anyone done anything similar and have any words of wisdom?

wanareef
06/25/2003, 02:40 AM
Hi there,

Our next tank will be in the wall "plywood" tank. I have built several of these and it's about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the same size in glass. I have built several plywoods before and no problems.

If I were you I would put in the biggest that I could.

nancysnuwave
06/25/2003, 05:48 AM
Hi wanareef

(those two words together sound like the start of a potlatch!). Thanks for the encouragement. How big is big? (deeper, wider?, longer?). Which direction makes for the best viewing and maintenance?

You said you'd done several.. do you use the two part epoxy paint?

Thanks again!
Chris

wanareef
06/25/2003, 06:38 AM
check your email- the fire wall here @ work plays havoc on replies
The long way gives the best viewing IMO. Have not used the paint but the epoxy for lamaniating. Basically it acts as a "liner to hold water".
Add more height to 28 - 30" and depth to 24" but it just depends on how much room you have, doesn't cost that much more.

wanareef
06/25/2003, 07:07 AM
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17063

Checkout David Grigor's tank about 12-13 posts down. His is an inwall tank out of ply. If you saw Steve Weast's tank the 500 gal we will be having our club mtg there this sun :rolleyes:

I would go with the 250 HQI Ushio 10k x4 and if you need more then a fulham wh7 runnig HD's 6500k 4' tubes in the two pak for $10 I think, it's really cheap (inexpensive).