PDA

View Full Version : What valve to use for 55 gallon poly drum auto top-off container?

Cakepro
06/24/2003, 04:41 PM
Well, I have everything I need to turn a 55 gallon poly drum into a kalkwasser auto-top off unit except the microvalve which worked beautifully on my DIY 5 gallon kalk container is way too small to put through that thick plastic drum. Do they make a valve that will fit 1/4" tubing that is long enough to go through the drum? When I explain the things I endeavor to do to the Home Depot plumbing "expert" he goes completely blank and starts drooling, so if someone can just tell me what I need to go buy I will be forever grateful. :)

~ Sherri

H20ENG
06/24/2003, 05:27 PM
Your best bet is to use a bulkhead fitting. Use a good schedule 80 one so you can crank on it. The curvature of the drum will give you a hard time trying to seal the fitting.
Dont put the fitting near the very bottom or by a rib in the drum, it'll be too tough to bend the poly. Place it in an open area, maybe 8" or so from the bottom. Heat the area with a hair dryer to soften the plastic, making it easier for the bulhead to seal.
Give it a smear of good silicone afterwards for good measure.
Not sure if you can get a bulkhead smaller than 1/2", but if your valve is smaller, you can use reducer bushings to get to whatever size you need.
Have fun,
Chris