PDA

View Full Version : Simple sump/refugium

jffuerte
06/24/2003, 04:16 PM
i do not know much about sumps and refugiums so i have a lot of concerns. I really just want to be able to have more room in my tank so my heater and skimmer will not get in the way. I was wondering if I could just get an overflow box with a good return pump into a 10 gallon aquarium for my 29 gallon reef. What else is there to it to a sump/refugium. I am also planning to add some live rock and sand along with some macro algae in the fuge. Whats the deal with all the compartments people have. Can someone help me build a simple sump? :confused:

sharkdude
06/24/2003, 06:39 PM
For the first 2 years of my reef career, I used a plain clear 15 gal plastic container for a sump. I had the drain on one side and the return pump on the other, shielded by some live rock rubble to diminish bubbles, and it worked fine.

The reason for all the compartments is to slow the water down and give bubbles a chance to escape before being sucked up into the return pump. Also, to keep stuff out of your return pump intake.

For a simple sump/refugium I would suggest the following:

get as large a plastic container as will fit in your stand. make sure it has a flat or mostly flat bottom so it will be evenly supported.

get two smaller containers that will fit inside with room to spare in the middle, and are shorter than the big container.

one will be used to receive the drain from your hang on siphon overflow. This will 'absorb' most of the intial turbulance. You can drill a few holes half way down, or just let it overflow to larger plastic container.

other small plastic container will be to house you submersible return pump. Drill several holes above your sand depth to allow water to flow in and supply pump. never let your sump level drop below the holes or else your pump will run dry.

add sand and live rock and macro in center section, don't worry, it will fill around the two smaller containers. Add a light above and you are in business.

measure twice, drill, cut, purchase, once.

also, don't fill more sump/refugium more than half way to allow for excess capacity in event of power failure and back siphon and potential flood.

Test, retest, and then test some more to sleep better at nights and peace of mind when you are away from your tank.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

jffuerte
06/24/2003, 10:22 PM
hey thanks a lot for the tips. I really appreciate it. I was going to use a 10 gallon glass i had handy. would it work the same if i use tank dividers and drill the dividers for the holes? So there will be 3 compartments correct?

I drew a little diagram. What can I do to make this better. If i use acryllic, can i use glue or maybe silicon? Also, what can i use to drill the acryllic? Thanks for all the help in advance.

jffuerte
06/24/2003, 10:24 PM
Oh forgot to attach it.

Also can I just use a regular flourescent hood for lighting for the sump/fuge?

sharkdude
06/25/2003, 10:47 AM
That will work more or less, although a ten gal sump/refugium is a very small volume, especially since you will only fill it halfway.

Bear in mind, all evaporation and system water loss will be reflected in the last compartment. If you evaporation is high, you may end up running your pump dry before you can top off.

yes, regular flourescents will work.

regular drill and bits for acrylic. go slow and use some water to lubricate and cool to avoid melting and cracking.

silicon is not optimum for acrylic to glass but should hold for small sump if you run beads along all sides.

put some kind of screen over holes from refugium to pump compartment to keep caulerpa out of pump. Plastic mesh canvas at craft shops works well and is cheap.

I still suggest going with as large a container or tank as you can possibly fit in your stand. Tall show tanks work well. look for a used, scratched up one for sale.