PDA

View Full Version : choice in skimmers?

dean
06/30/2000, 12:19 PM
I need some help in buying a skimmer? I have a 55 gallon reef tank. I'm currently running a seaclone which sucks. I would like to know if I should get a BERLIN CLASSIC, or a TURBOFLOW 1000. If anybody has any positive or negative feedback please let me know.

Thanks,

coralhound
06/30/2000, 12:26 PM
I ahve 3 berlins.

check the archives there is plenty on this.

BTW REDSEA is selling a new BERLIN turbo as of august its a berlin with a needle wheel.
they will also be selling upgrade kits for the berlins.

CH

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha
06/30/2000, 03:55 PM
I have a berlin and a remora pro. I really like my berlin, easy to use and works well, especially for a 55. The new needle wheel they have coming out should make them even better. Just my .02. MMM

wayne
06/30/2000, 05:03 PM
I have a berlin in my 180 and one in my 75, I have a rio 2500 on the berlin in the 75 and a mag7 on the 180.

If you go with the berlin, go with a mag 7. I've got to get rid of my rio's.

wayne

------------------
Visit our piece of the reef at http://www.c-gate.net/~pierce

erie otters
06/30/2000, 06:18 PM
I have a berlin classic with a rio 2500 and it works great on my 220s. Has worked from day 1 out of the box, plug it in, adjust the bubbles.... and away we go....

------------------
Life's a journey, enjoy the ride...

JarekP
06/30/2000, 06:36 PM
I had SeaClone on my 75g reef, and I changed it to Turboflotor 1000 (with Rio 2100). It works great, and I am very happy with it. Turboflotor does not require constant tuning, I have simply regulated all when I set it up, and since then I am only emptying the cup!

One important thing about T1000: you will need another (small) powerhead in addition to Rio 2100. This large pump is circulating water inside skimmer, while the small one feeds it with water from outside. Alternatively you may feed T1000 from overflow (what is suggested in manual).

Anyway, Turboflotor 1000 is great :)

Happy reefing,

Jarek

dean
06/30/2000, 07:08 PM
Thanks everone for the great info. At this time I'm leaning towards the Berlin. If anyone has any more comments feel free to comment.

Thanks again.
Ps what is the needle valve?

JarekP
06/30/2000, 07:25 PM
It is not needle valve, it is needle wheel. Impeller blades in Rio 2100 pump are replaced with densly packed needles, they not only move water, but also generate very fine bubbles, when air is injected there. Air is sucked in using standard venturi valve, and then is mixed with water using the needle wheel - it creates really good mix of water and air. That is why you need two powerheads - large one for circulating, and small one for water income.

Happy reefing,

Jarek