PDA

View Full Version : What to use for DIY skimmer/overflow box?

Vincerama2
06/24/2003, 01:52 AM
Hi all!

I want to make an overflow box for my 10g nano. I bought some 1/2" pvc and elbows from the Home Despot, er, Depot, but am now wondering what I could use for the two overflow boxes. I found some coloured plastic boxes on the TAP Plastic site and they could supply me with Acrylic that I'd cut myself...however, I really don't have the tools to work with acrylic and more importantly, my tiny apartment limits my DIY activities.

Has anyone made a skimmer box/overflow box with any command things like tupperware or Feraro Roche boxes? I was thinking Staples or Office Despot might have some brochure boxes that might work.

I thought I'd try here, incase someone has come up with a clever solution to this, without needing to ramp up on acrylic working skills and buying cement, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Vince

Mr James
06/24/2003, 11:11 AM
Vince, I have been thinking of a way to plumb my 10g fuge to my 20g sump. I think I may just end up getting something different to replace my 10g glass fuge, like a Rubbermaid container and drill a bulkhead into it. BUT, one way I thought of was to use a type of overflow with materials you can buy. I would cut some overflow slots in this thing http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3847 and hang it on the inside of the 10g tank. Then run some sort of u-tubes from it into the 20g, keeping the ends in the 20g submerged. Of course the ends in the overflow box need to be submerged so you don't lose siphon. You have to be familiar with the overflow concept to understand how to fine tune it. I have not done this yet and still may consider it. I did buy a single Amiracle style overflow unit for just this, but it appears to be a little big for the system?!?

Vincerama2
06/24/2003, 12:40 PM
Yeah, that looks like it will work! I'll try those! Thanks!

Due to my space limitations, I'm making a 10g sump/fuge for my 10g display tank! It will sit directly below in my "stand" (actually a shelving unit I re-inforced) so I will use the overflow boxes to drop straight down (ie; I can't make a fuge next to the tank and just run a syphon line between them)

Also, I'm an idiot and have one piece of LR too many, so it will live in the fuge (with lights, of course!) with the skimmer and heater etc...(and macro algae)

I'll try those specimen boxes out, thanks!

Vince