PDA

View Full Version : Partical board and epoxy paint

reefguy11
06/22/2003, 10:56 PM
Hi
I know this is a little O/T but It does replate to Diy. A friend of mine is build reptile cages and was wondering if he used particle board(3/4'') Covered in marine epoxy paint, would it stand up to moisture. It would be a small amount not a constant pool of water. Would OSB be any better? Or should we stick with plywood? Also Does any one know the price of Maine epoxy paint and where to purchase it? We are in canada so it may be a little different.

Thanks
Jeff

wanareef
06/23/2003, 02:54 AM
You did not mention if it was to be structural or not. But IMHO it would be less $$ to get ply and then paint it. I'm not sure of the prices up there.

reefguy11
06/23/2003, 08:48 AM
They are going to be stacked but they wont need to be to structural.
jeff

Fourseahorsemen
06/23/2003, 12:31 PM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87733

try the above thread about GARF style tanks nad you will find lots of good info.

reefguy11
06/23/2003, 03:54 PM
Thanks horsemen Just had 1 more question. We went to home depot and they pointed out a Plastic enamel Paint. It is oilbase and they said it should easily stand up to water. Would this be alright? I think Dupont makes it but I might be wrong. Is oil base paint toxic to animals?

Thanks

Jeff

Todd G.
06/23/2003, 06:41 PM
Hello.
I would use the epoxy paint.
2 part epoxy to be specific.
I personally would not use anything else...
except putting nothing on the wood at all.

OR

Make it out of FRB board.
It is called Fiber(glass) re-inforced board.
You may be able to find it in Canada.
It is a popular cage construction item with iguana and monitor lizard keepers in the states.
$$ but lasts forever and most important.. non toxic!

best of luck.
Todd G.
PS have your friend check out a reptile forum and get more ideas.

Fourseahorsemen
06/24/2003, 08:46 PM
Todd is right, the main reason for using the 2-part epoxy is non- toxicity. The kind I used is also used to coat the inside of municipal drinking water tanks, so it will definitly not leach anything out into the water. A normal paint will. Also be sure to let it cure long enough between coats, otherwise you can trap VOC in that will leach out. Good luck.

4C