PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing questions

ingros
06/22/2003, 10:37 PM
Repost from New to Hobby forum...

I finally decided on a 225 gallon after I was told by my wife that the 8' tanks were too long . The 225 is 72x24x30 and is acrylic (Tenecor). I'm not going to purchase their reef ready model since it has wet/dry built in, and I've already built a 120g sump/refugium and the stand to hold everything.

Tenecor will drill holes for you in the tank, provided you tell them the location and number. Here is where I am stuck and need your guidance.

I can tell you that the sump is drilled 2 3/8" for an Ampmaster pump, and the bulkhead and strainer have been ordered. As far as getting the water from tank to sump, I assume that a 1.5 inch hole in each corner will do for drainage into sump. Where should these holes be located, as in distance from the side and back panels? Also, should holes be drilled for return water, or is this typically done through hose hanging over the back of the tank? What about a closed loop - where should those holes be?

I saw the Ampmaster has an accessory to split the return flow into 8 smaller hoses (3/4", I think). Would all of these be useful for a return? Should some return locations be submerged and therefore require a hole in the back of the tank?

Sorry for my ignorance, but the Tenecor web site only asks you to tell how many holes, what size and where. There is no guidance or recommendation help file to assist in making this determination. I want to do this right the first time so I am hoping some of you more experienced reefers can offer suggestions. Thanks in advance!

John