PDA

View Full Version : How do you fix a crack in your tank?

captian
06/22/2003, 10:18 PM
I recently moved my tank and now I have noticed a crack running up fom the bottom left front corner. It looks like its inside the left side glass panel. The crack which is about one inch long seems to start on the outside and is heading into the middle but doesn't go all the way through to the interior of the tank. I can feel it if I run my finger across it. I am hoping this has happened to someone before and they can give some advice as to what to do, besides prey I don't wake up one morning with a pool of 90 gallons of seawater on my floor. Since I have no camera I will attempt a drwaing to submit which may or may not be of any assistance to the prognosis. Sketch is very basic but may help.

asmujica
06/22/2003, 10:29 PM
My LFS attaches a new pane of glass above the cracked one. ALL of his showtanks are ¨fixed¨ this way.

CUTTER_412002
06/22/2003, 10:29 PM
hi there

doesn't look good in my opinion,,i believe you might want to have the offending panel replaced

neil

gregmoeck
06/23/2003, 06:18 AM
I would buy a new tank if that is possible, or move everything into a vat or something because the tank will crack further someday, maybe not next week but it will.

kentrob11
06/23/2003, 07:58 AM
I just finished taking a cracked pane of glass out of a cracked/broken tank....I would do the same if I were you :-P

captian
06/23/2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice. The crack hasn't gotten bigger since yesterday but I know any tiem now it could all go whoooooooooosh. I am thinking possibly just replacing the tank might be the best bet in terms of time, which I don't have a lot off these days. I see good deals around town for same size same dimensions.
Thanks again:frog:

Mondo
06/23/2003, 09:01 PM
My tank cracked last night and it was slowly leaking water. Found about a gallon on the floor when I got up. So I bought a new tank and spent all day moving everything.

beefcake
06/23/2003, 09:06 PM
I feel for you man. :( Consider yourself lucky though it could have been much worse !

Mike Bauer
06/24/2003, 02:43 AM
Captian

I would start by having two new large trash cans setting at the cracked end of the tank while you try to find a fix.

If the crack grow in size at all start moving water out of the tank asap. that will take some of the pressure off the side that is cracking. It will give you a place to put your fish if the tank should blow.

Mike :rolleyes:

Good Luck

captian
06/24/2003, 05:35 AM
Thats a good idea untill I fix or replace the tank. I put the garbage cans I use to do water changes right next to the tank before I go to work today. So If it does start leaking hopefully it will be slow leak and will go into cans instead of floor. I think the scooter goby knows he keeps looking at the damaged area hehe.