PDA

View Full Version : Hayward pool pump??

JDM130
06/22/2003, 03:40 PM
Hi, I'm in the process of setting up a new 360gal. tank and want to know if anyone has ever used a Hayward pool pump. I have a 3/4HP in storage. The way it would be plumbed is as follows.

From the tank, I will have 2, 1-1/2" bulkhead fitting that will go down into a 120 gal. sump. The pump has a 2" inlet and a 2" outlet. I am thinking of plumbing the outlet of the pump up and into a "Y" one side will go as a return to the tank and the other will feed a huge dual beckett skimmer. Of course there will be ball valves in apropriate spotes to control the outward flow. Anyone have any thoughts on wheather this is do able or not?

Thanks, Jeff

jman785
06/22/2003, 05:07 PM
This will be just fine...I work with Hayward pumps all day long, they will sufficient enough for your setup...although a 3/4 hp pump will be overkill for your system, it will definently be moving some water, and if you were going to use valves, I'd use ball valves, but I'd also consider using a 3-way Jandy valve, they are rather expensive, but are worth the money and very easy to move and will NEVER seize up to where you can't move them.

- Jared

JDM130
06/22/2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks Jared,

I was also thinking of installing another "Y" just out of the pump outlet one side will go up to the second "Y" and the otherside will go back to the sump controled by a valve. This way, if it is infact to big I can open the bottom valve and let some spill back into the sump. Kind of confusing writing this but I think I know how this can work with out blowing my fish against the glass.

Thanks Again!
Jeff

JDM130
06/22/2003, 06:27 PM
BTW, What the heck is a 3way jandy valve?

rspar
06/22/2003, 06:49 PM
A jandy valve is generally used on a pool/spa to direct the flow of water. An unrestricted 3/4 horse pump is gunna give you some serious flow.

rspar
06/22/2003, 06:50 PM
If it's too much power u should be able to down grade the pump with a new impellor.

JDM130
06/22/2003, 06:55 PM
Cool, Thanks a lot!

NAGA
06/22/2003, 07:53 PM
I have a couple of extra 3 way Jandy valves if your interested. I think I have two left.

make an offer if you interested.

naga

Justjoe
06/22/2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by JDM130
Hi, I'm in the process of setting up a new 360gal. tank and want to know if anyone has ever used a Hayward pool pump. I have a 3/4HP in storage. The way it would be plumbed is as follows.

From the tank, I will have 2, 1-1/2" bulkhead fitting that will go down into a 120 gal. sump. The pump has a 2" inlet and a 2" outlet. I am thinking of plumbing the outlet of the pump up and into a "Y" one side will go as a return to the tank and the other will feed a huge dual beckett skimmer. Of course there will be ball valves in apropriate spotes to control the outward flow. Anyone have any thoughts on wheather this is do able or not?

Thanks, Jeff

I use them on many systems (the Hayward Super pumps), I've seen some seal problems with their PowerFlo models and saltwater. I think the 3/4 will be pushing a lot of water, I would put in a bypass to the sump. That will allow you some flexibility with adjustments since you're going to your protein skimmer as well. Heat transfer using a 3/4hp pump on a 360 gallon system is something else to consider.
Joe

jman785
06/23/2003, 10:49 AM
This pump going inside or outside? If its going outside, that will be fine I do believe...it is better to be outside then inside near all of the salt...but it will be fine with the salt if you can't put it in a basement or somewhere else...as Joe stated, the pump will be putting off some serious heat...I'm not even referring to heat transfer, I'm just talking about the motor itself, if its in a small room, your going to burn up, if your working on your fish stuff :eek: I also can get you some Jandy valves for the low low...let me know if you want some...just send me a private message

- Jared

jman785
06/23/2003, 10:52 AM
I imagine its going to be a ***** feeding this system...if your going to have any inhabitants that are going to need brine, or phyto or rotifiers or anything that has to hit that tank, you are probably gonig to need to shut it down and turn powerheads on, so they can get a chance to eat...that pump and skimmer are going to be working very well, but it will be too well...I imagine, that is one of the problems you will be faced with, with this large of a pump on such a small system.

- Jared

JDM130
06/24/2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Well, i get the impresion that the 3/4HP will be too much. Maybe a 1/2 hp would be better. I saw this one on Ebay, any thoughts? If not can I just go to a pool place and get a 1/2hp hayward? Better yet, anyone have one they want to unload?

Thanks Again!
Jeff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2330654823&category=3212&rd=1

H20ENG
06/24/2003, 03:10 PM
Heres my $0.02 on pool pumps for aquariums.
They are designed for higher head applications- like pushing water through sand or mechanical filters.
They should run at about 20-30 psi. If they free run (0' head), it can overamp the motor, make it run even hotter, and shorten the life of the pump motor.
Pretty noisy
They use a lot of power.
They do push a ton of water!
They will drive the !@#$ out of any fractionator!:D
Readily available for parts or emergencies.
Most SS internal parts (shaft, nut) hold up well to the saltwater.

I have used a ton of pool pumps on large tanks. These are my observations from years of using them at a public aquarium. Many aquariums use them for shear ease of availability. Pacer pumps are also used a lot.
Since my next pump purchase will be running on my electric meter, I'm going with a sequence, RK2, etc high flow, low head, low wattage pump.
If you are pumping from a deep basement or have a huge fractionator, the pool pump will work fine for you.
HTH,
Chris

kris4647
06/24/2003, 04:16 PM
I'm not real great with this subject, but I do know that 7-9 amps would have a significant impact on your electricity bill. My veeeeeery rough estimate is at least $50-60 a month..That would be hard to sell at my house.....

rspar
06/24/2003, 05:14 PM
the electric bill will more likely be minimum 100 bucks running 12 hours a day. The haywards all plastic, so I would imagine heat transfer would be minimal but some of these other guys have move exp with them on tanks. I'm wondering if a brass pump would hold up under the salt water. Some of them (aquaflow-premier) are somewhat adjustable. For the back-pressure reducing the size of the plumbing significantly at some point would probably take care of that.

jman785
06/24/2003, 07:44 PM
I'd honestly either use Hayward or a Sta-Rite pump, they work well. I do not think if the pump not having a load will make it go out faster. The main problem with pumps is the bearings, which is when it gets to be noisey usually...You shouldn't have a problem in my opinion. Some of our pumps run at 10 psi and run str8. I would definently consider downgrading to a 1/4 instead of the 3/4 or the 1/2.

- Jared

beyondhelp
07/09/2003, 02:38 PM
Beware !!!!

After several years of slavery as a pool mechanic I feel I should warn you. Some brands / models of pool pumps have a copper cone mounted to the shaft at or near the ceramic seal that is used for heat dissapation. I no longer recall what models use this but you may want to check. I usually found them when changing impellers and we almost never re installed them. Every one I have seen has been copper and by the time I see them they are usually corroded due to chemical overuse. HTH

mikester
07/09/2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by kris4647
I'm not real great with this subject, but I do know that 7-9 amps would have a significant impact on your electricity bill. My veeeeeery rough estimate is at least $50-60 a month..That would be hard to sell at my house.....

Funny - I was JUST reading about this at my electric company's website. They say that a 1.5 HP pool pump running 8 hours a day (standard around here) costs $42 a month in electricity. Running it 24 hours a day (as would be required for an aquarium) raises the cost to $126 a month.

A 3/4 HP pump would draw less power, but not a lot less - certainly not half. You're probably looking at $90-100 a month to run that pump.