PDA

View Full Version : Okay, give me your thoughts (weight issues)

melev
06/21/2003, 01:55 PM
Kevin is a member in our club. He has a 340g acrylic tank with an overflow at each end of a 9' long tank.

When he installed this tank to be a in-wall unit, he built it with all kinds of studs beneath it. The tank is fully viewable from both sides, and only the ends are out of sight.

The surface the tank sits on is <b>six</b> layers of 3/4 plywood. These sit on 2x4 that are supported with uprights every 2'. He has four headers (doubled 2x6) running crosswise resting in 2x6 uprights, evenly spaced with one at each end and two(side by side) at the center.

Access is gained from one side only, so the other side has 2x4 support. PLus, the other side wasn't sheetrocked, but covered with 3/4" plywood that has been smoothed and painted white. I coudn't even tell it wasn't sheetrock until I studied it very closely.

He wants a big sump and refugium under the tank, but his uprights are in the way on the entry-side. With the four headers on 2x6's and 6 sheets of plywood, I believe he has plenty of strength to lose the 2x4 uprights and get better access.

What do you think?

He's been running skimmerless for two years, and has a 37g sump that overflows far too easily. I'm hoping to build them a 26g refugium and a 47g sump that will hold a new Tunze 230/3 skimmer, and avoid the mess they've been dealing with. No more wet carpets!

Mako
06/21/2003, 05:39 PM
Really hard to say Marc without seeing a pic. From your description though it sounds like it would be ok to loose the 2x4's.

melev
06/21/2003, 09:08 PM
I'll get them to send me some pictures to add to this thread. Good suggestion.

I guess it would save me a thousand words of typing then! ;)